Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd July 2011, 02:29 PM
michaelfischer Offline

linuxchrome
Linux native Google Music Manager on F15

I am having trouble installing the Linux native Google Music Manager. The log states that "ERROR TId 0xb779c780 Failed to get machine identifier, using old one"

/etc/sysconfig/network & /etc/hosts are correct.

Anyone have an idea?
Old 22nd July 2011, 02:39 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Linux native Google Music Manager on F15

I have no idea what that error means.

But.. why would anybody want to give google access to their music collection?

Just makes me wonder if we might be seeing some lawsuits crop up when people upload copyrighted music to the google servers. And once uploaded, they have the evidence, even if you try to go back and delete it. (and it's not just downloading copyrighted music, then.. You have actually uploaded it someplace, so they can say you are distributing it)
Old 22nd July 2011, 02:43 PM
michaelfischer Offline

linuxchrome

I appreciate what you're saying. I can see where some folks would be apprehensive about storing their collection online. I paid for everything I've uploaded. If Google gets sued then Google gets sued. I actually like the service, it's very useful to me.
Old 22nd July 2011, 02:48 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

you paid for it for your use, but you didn't pay to distribute it, or upload it to other sites.

There is a difference in buying it for your private use, and buying it to upload and distribute.

I just get the feeling there is much more to this than is being said at the moment.
Old 22nd July 2011, 02:50 PM
michaelfischer Offline

linuxchrome

There might be more to it, I can't deny that. What can I say, I like to live dangerously lol.
Old 22nd July 2011, 02:56 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

something just jumps out and shouts "TRAP!"

I just can't imagine that google would go against the RIAA with something like this unless there was a reason for it. After all, I would have to say that probably over 95% of the music uploaded there is copyright protected.

I don't think the RIAA will let it go for too long before they jump on it, and the way the copyright laws have been rewritten in the past few years, Google and the ISP's won't have a choice except to give the RIAA what it wants. Identities...
Old 24th July 2011, 10:10 PM
zerix Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
something just jumps out and shouts "TRAP!"

I just can't imagine that google would go against the RIAA with something like this unless there was a reason for it. After all, I would have to say that probably over 95% of the music uploaded there is copyright protected.

I don't think the RIAA will let it go for too long before they jump on it, and the way the copyright laws have been rewritten in the past few years, Google and the ISP's won't have a choice except to give the RIAA what it wants. Identities...
^^^This has in no way helped us with this problem......

I'm getting "Login failed. Could not identify your computer" when I try to sign in. The funny thing is the Google help page says that this could be caused by running Google Music in a VM, but I have been running the Windows version in a VM for weeks without a problem.
Old 25th July 2011, 01:38 AM
michaelfischer Offline

linuxfirefox

I had it running in Wine myself until the native client was released. Hence the problem. I'm not keen on running a VM on my laptop.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Solved! Appending biosdevname=0 to grub.conf fixes the problem. Apparently Google Music Manager really likes eth*
Old 2nd September 2011, 07:06 PM
frostthejack Offline

linuxfirefox

music manager doesnt do anything unless i have a web browser then all it does it open the browser and nothing else doesnt take me to a web page or anything