Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th August 2011, 10:12 PM
jbeag Offline

linuxfirefox
Dual Monitor Problem with F15

I have a work computer, HP Compaq Elite 8100 (Radeon 4650 vid card) with 2 HP ZR24W monitors - one on DVI, one on Displayport. The system was running dual boot Win 7 and F14 with no probs. I installed F15 and now the monitor on displayport goes to sleep after GRUB. The monitor still works during grub, and under win7, but so far I can get no life from this displayport connection in F15. Gnome 3, Gnome Fallback, KDE...nothing. Tried a nomodeset on boot command to no avail. dmesg says a clock overvoltage.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Or know a fix? As its a work computer I don't want to experiment with it too much. I'll save that for the PCs at home.
Old 8th August 2011, 04:32 PM
aderocha Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Dual Monitor Problem with F15

I have exactly same problem. I have a laptop wit a monitor connected to it using DVI interface. this setup was working fine in F 14 (both monitors working right after grub) but after upgrading, DVI monitor no longer works.
- It works when I switch to a TTY prompt
- Multiple Monitor settings on KDE are not available since it does not detect a dual monitor config. I had also tried xrandr but also does not work.
Old 10th September 2011, 05:06 PM
bbschreiber Offline

linuxchrome
Unhappy Re: Dual Monitor Problem with F15

I am running dual DVI monitors on an nVidia graphics card. It all worked in KDE Fedora 14, In KDE fedora 15 the second monitor is not recognized. Strangely, if I hot swap the cables, the display will shift to the right hand monitor. On a reboot, the left hand monitor comes back as the only one working. If I boot f15 Gnome, both monitors work natively.

The NVidia setting program only sees one display in KDE.
The KDE Display Settings only see one monitor.
I have uninstalled Nouveu and installed the latest nVidia drivers and still no joy.

I believe that this is a KDE bug, since the monitors both work, and Gnome works.

Any suggestions. I would prefer not to can KDE.

Bruce

Last edited by bbschreiber; 10th September 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11th September 2011, 12:53 AM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfirefox

Sounds like either your card can't run them both, or your xorg.conf is broken. I got 24" + 20" dual-screen setup and works fine. If I remember right, there's an issue if you try to use two separate x-screens in KDE, you need to disable plasma on the other in that case (or something similar, quick search will return exact solution). But using twinview with or without Xinerama works perfectly.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 11th September 2011, 08:51 PM
bbschreiber Offline

linuxchrome

Pete,
I appreciate the reply. The card ran them both in F14 KDE. It also works in F15 Gnome. I think that the card can be ruled out. Twinview is greyed out and the second display is not being detected. The xorg.conf may be the problem, or the nVidia drivers may not be compatible with F15 KDE. I am trying an updated f15 Liveusb install and will see if that helps.

Bruce

Tags
dual, f15, monitor, problem