Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 12th August 2011, 08:05 PM
stepher Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Moving from 32-bit kernel to 64-bit kernel

I have been running F14 as a 32-bit system (original m/b was 32-bit). Now the system is on a 64-bit dual-core processor board and I'd like to change from the 32-bit kernel to 64-bit.

I downloaded a 64-bit kernel (kernel-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.86_64.rpm) and attempted to install it. It won't install and Package Installer returns a message of the sort that says this file "has incompatible architecture. Valid architectures are ['athlon', 'i686', 'i586', 'i486'....]". My processor is an Athlon 64 x2.

Is it possible to do what I want to do (I only want the kernel at the moment)? Is there some Fedora file I need to modify to allow the system to install the 64-bit kernel for this m/b? Do I need another file (or files) installed before I install the kernel? Something else?

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

Cheers....Steph
Old 12th August 2011, 08:17 PM
bodhi.zazen Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Moving from 32-bit kernel to 64-bit kernel

To convert from 32 bit to 64 bit you have to do a fresh 64 bit install, you can not simply install the kernel.
Old 12th August 2011, 08:57 PM
stepher Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Interesting. I thought maybe it might be a boot issue (I could only hope).

In a previous thread (I was trying to fix an F14 problem at the time) I raised this same question (about moving to 64-bit) and the response I got was that I only needed to download the kernel. His sense was that the 64-bit kernel would play with the 32-bit tools and applications. Apparently not true. Bummer!

So, since F15 is out, is there a way I can upgrade to Fedora 64-bit and not lose any (or much) of my existing system and environment (as I would expect with a 32-bit upgrade)? Or, are we talking a "flatten the drive and start from scratch" scenario.

Thanks and cheers...Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
To convert from 32 bit to 64 bit you have to do a fresh 64 bit install, you can not simply install the kernel.

Last edited by stepher; 12th August 2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12th August 2011, 08:59 PM
bodhi.zazen Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

You can save your data and configuration files, but as F15 is gnome 3 I would go for a fresh install and restore any data from backup.
Old 12th August 2011, 09:09 PM
stepher Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Thanks again. I understand your suggestion. Any easy way (maybe some configuration file) to ensure I get back any programs I've "added" since...well...forever Or, does that need to be a manual process?

Cheers....

Quote:
You can save your data and configuration files, but as F15 is gnome 3 I would go for a fresh install and restore any data from backup.
Old 12th August 2011, 10:15 PM
bodhi.zazen Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

See if this thread helps :

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=242967

Again if there is a specific configuration file you know you want, such as ~.bashrc, back it up.

If it is just "generic" configuration files for themes, I would not bother.
Old 13th August 2011, 02:14 AM
stepher Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Again, thanks for the help and info. The link is exactly what I was looking for. I want to make sure I can reload all the applications currently on my F14 32-bit system.

Cheers....Steph

Quote:
See if this thread helps :

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=242967

Again if there is a specific configuration file you know you want, such as ~.bashrc, back it up.

If it is just "generic" configuration files for themes, I would not bother.

Tags
32bit, 64bit, kernel, moving