Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th August 2011, 03:31 PM
MNKyDeth Offline

linuxopera
Audio + seperate X server

I have been giving Fedora another chance to become my main OS as I really do enjoy using it.
I am sure anyone could look at my older posts and realize I despise pulseaudio. But I figured I would really buckle down and see if I could make it work for me and my games.

My problem that I am experiencing is when I try to run games in a seperate Xserver.

xinit /home/mnkydeth/games/Amnesia/Launcher.bin64 -- :1

The above command works fine. I get graphics and can play the game. But, I get no audio at all. If I start the game without xinit and just do a /home/mnkydeth/games/Amnesia/Launcher.bin64 my audio works just fine. I have tested this with a few games.

Obviously I have tested it with Amnesia, I also tested Dungeons of Dagorath. http://mspencer.net/daggorath/dodpcp.html
I also tested Achron but that game is still in beta and eventually segfaults during startup.

Anyone that plays games in a seperate Xserver on fedora, do you experience the same issues? Is this a possible pulseaudio bug? When I change the settings in game to use normal alsa I still get no sound but I know alsa gets forced through pulse so....

I could just not use a seperate Xserver but I was also trying to experiment with it to see if I could figure out why some people are getting such low frames per second in some of there games in Fedora 15 compared to Fedora 14.

Any help or info would be appreciated on how to get audio to work in a seperate Xserver.
Old 14th August 2011, 04:10 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Audio + seperate X server

Unless you allow the session initialization to run you will not get any audio.

When you do the "xinit /home/mnkydeth/games/Amnesia/Launcher.bin64 -- :1" you are telling xinit to run the "...Launcher.bin64" instead of the session initialization.

The "xinit -- :1" will run the session initialization, and you can run the game with audio.

This is because audio is not part of the X environment.

Tags
audio, seperate, server