Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th August 2011, 02:46 AM
Owl Offline

linuxfirefox
Bad Xorg drivers and blank screen on Pavilion g6

Just install F15 on a new HP Pavilion g6, and I'm having X troubles. I installed a minimal system from the DVD and added the X Window System and KDE Software Compilation groups with yum, so I may have missed some key piece of configuration in Anaconda. All packages are up to date, and I haven't pulled anything from -testing or third party repositories.

Out of the "box," X Windows only works with the Vesa driver. If I change vesa to intel in xorg.conf, X fails to start and complains no screens found. The Vesa driver seems to work, but it's limited to 1024x768, horizontally stretched to 1366. (There was a missing identifier in xorg.conf, too. Is there anything like the old xf86config to build a new xorg.conf?)

Based on past experience, I removed nomodeset from grub.conf. After doing so, I can't boot at all. Or rather, it seems I can boot, but the backlight doesn't come on so I can't see anything. It might be related to this issue in Arch Linux; I haven't tried the suggested workaround, but it doesn't do anything now, so I don't know that it would work when booting.

Anyone know how I can get X working with the Intel drivers?

Edit:

Yes, I know. Do just what they did on Arch Linux. Go into grub.conf, delete nomodeset, and add acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor. Then go fiddle with xorg.conf and replace vesa with intel, if you have not already. The actual backlight controls don't work, but at least the light comes on.

Last edited by Owl; 24th August 2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 15th September 2011, 10:14 PM
silverglade00 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Bad Xorg drivers and blank screen on Pavilion g6

Dude!!! Thank you so much! I have been fighting for 2 days straight to get my laptop with switching graphics working with Gnome3 and acceleration. Your post did the trick. If anyone else is looking, I have a HP Touchsmart tm2t with i915 and ATI HD 5400 Mobility. I installed Fedora 15 Gnome 64-bit version. Ran full updates, installed nano, and did like Owl said. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change "vesa" to "intel". Edit /etc/grub.conf, remove "nomodeset", add "acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor" to the same line. Reboot and I have full Gnome3 capabilities.
Old 17th September 2011, 09:53 PM
Owl Offline

linuxfirefox

Do your brightness controls work? Mine don't.
Old 14th October 2011, 03:01 PM
silverglade00 Offline

linuxchrome

I ended up having to remove Fedora for a while due to needing the disk space for a school project. I will most likely put Fedora back on in a week or so. Put the new Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot on there just to remind myself why I like Fedora better. It works with the same entries in the boot string. And yes, the brightness controls work under Ubuntu, but it seemed to lock up the mouse when I used them. This might get fixed in a few days or so since the release is not even 24 hours old yet as of this post.

Tags
bad, blank, drivers, pavilion, screen, xorg