Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th August 2011, 06:08 PM
Nushio Offline

linuxfirefox
Update Blues (Bluetooth + Audio issues)

Hey, I just updated from Fedora 15 to Fedora 16 and got 2 bluetooth related problems, plus an Audio issue.

First one, the Bluetooth mouse I bought no longer moves the pointer. It does pair, it simply won't move the pointer. Also, if I turn it off, it won't re-pair, giving me an "Input Service Connection Timeout" unless I restart the bluetooth service, but even then, I can't move the pointer. This might be related to X.org somehow.

If it's relevant, I'm on KDE 4.7.

The second Bluetooth issue happens on both F15 and F16, but only on the 3.0 kernel (2.6.40). The Wiimote no longer pairs when using wminput / cwiid. I heard from Phoronix that the 3.0 kernel includes some new Wiimote drivers, so I'm pretty sure there's a conflict somewhere, I just don't know where to look.

The Audio issue is that I can't get any sound from the speakers. I've searched an awful lot for bug reports and on different forums, apparently I probably can get audio from headset, but don't have some earphones handy to check. This happened on Fedora 15 also, and I thought updating might magically fix it :P

[root@KnightRider ~]# lspci | grep "Audio"
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

Thanks for the help.

Update: Indeed, headsets work. I can get audio on my earphones but can't get audio on the speakers.

Last edited by Nushio; 24th August 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 25th August 2011, 04:30 PM
Witgetsteinsbee Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Update Blues (Bluetooth + Audio issues)

Hi - I wonder if the wiimote problem is a kernel issue as I've recently started having problems with wiimotes not reconnecting once the original connection is stopped. Connection can only be restored on reboot.

This originally showed up for me in dolphin-emu, but also appears to be a problem in the wiimote command line using lswm and wmgui. It's not the place to fill a full post - but I'll get back with a link once I've filed one on bugzilla.

Also on KDE, kernel is 2.6.40.3-0.fc15.x86_64

edit: submitted bug - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=733396
don't know if you'd like to add your experiences to it, would probably help to track it down

Last edited by Witgetsteinsbee; 25th August 2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 25th August 2011, 06:38 PM
Nushio Offline

linuxfirefox

Oi.

I checked the Phoronix article regarding the Wiimote Drivers, apparently they weren't added to the 3.0 kernel, but to the 3.1 one
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTcwMQ

Fedora 16 is currently on the 3.1 kernel.

I'll be sure to contribute to the bug report (I've got both a F15 / 3.0 laptop and a F16 /3.1 laptop), and need the WIimote working on either case.

I don't use it to game, but to give out presentations (The Wiimote is a damned fine clicker. Mario never misses a jump because of lack of input, and the slide *will* change every time you press A), which I do every Sunday.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:19 AM
Witgetsteinsbee Offline

linuxfirefox

Yep. got set right with the 3.0/3.1 kernel thing. BTW What bluetooth adapter do you have? Bugzilla reply suggests it may be local to certain hardware...
Old 2nd September 2011, 05:35 AM
Nushio Offline

linuxfirefox

I made a heavy backup of my laptop, and just as I was about to format and install Fedora 1 4 - Gnome 2.32 on it, I decided to run yum update --enablerepo="updates-testing" one last time. To my surprise, both bluez and some audio things got updated. To my surprise, I can now listen to music from the speakers AND I also have my mouse functional again.

KDE gets a second chance. Fedora 16 is definitely looking good :-)
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:10 PM
Witgetsteinsbee Offline

linuxfirefox

Good news
Could you look in your yum history and see what the updates were? Nothing similar in f15 updates-testing, but maybe could point bugzilla in the right direction - currently filed as a kernel bug not a bluez one (I'm presuming you still have the same problem in f15 yourself?)
Old 2nd September 2011, 03:51 PM
Nushio Offline

linuxfirefox

At this work computer, I don't have access to a wiimote, so I can't test the bluetooth-wiimote pairing here. I'll test it at home and report all the software versions.

I'm happy to be using my bluetooth mouse again, as I hate the laptop's touchpad.

Tags
alpha, audio, bluetooth, wiimote