Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Other Versions > EOL (End Of Life) Versions
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

EOL (End Of Life) Versions This is a Forum to discuss problems and workarounds for versions of Fedora that have passed End of Life.

Old 28th May 2004, 12:00 PM
FabiRq Offline

Installing FC2 on a Promise PDC20378 RAID Controller with a RAID 0 setup

Hello everybody,

I tried to install some good working linux distribution on my pc since I am getting angry about my previous windows installation...

I looked around and found that fedora would be the best for me.

But unfortunatly the problems startet with the installation on my new pc:

Athlon XP 64 3200
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
(with that Promise chip onboard)
1GB RAM

I build a RAID 0 in the Promise BIOS and it worked fine with Windows XP but troubles with FC2.

When I am booting with the first installation CD it loads the promise driver. On the point where I should be able to set up the needed partitions, there are only two single HDDs found, no RAID at all .

But I like to install FC2 on that RAID, because I need to set up a dual boot system with windows xp for some old stuff not working under linux (and some games ).

Does anybody have an idea, how I can do this?

In the worst case: is there any other distribution that works fine with that Raid?

Thank you for your patience

Fabian
Old 29th May 2004, 11:58 AM
FabiRq Offline

ok, I'm giving up and going to buy me a "real"-hardware-raid-controller, not such a su***** pseudo soft/hardware chip.

Hope anybody can give me a hint (in the hardware-forum) which one is a good one for my needs.

Thanks a lot

Fabian
Old 30th May 2004, 06:46 AM
Wabbit Offline

Hmm... I didn't see your post and posted my own concerning the same woe.

Promise have source code on their website which can be compiled to make drivers for kernel 2.4.x. But for some reason they haven't yet made available an update for kernel 2.6. I thought the powers that be would have arranged something so that Promise SATA RAID support would be included in 2.6. But no.... It is *damn* frustrating when one has a dual boot Windows/Linux setup.

Tags
controller, fc2, installing, pdc, promise, raid, setup