Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th November 2004, 06:19 PM
Equisilus Offline

FC3 hangs at bringing up interface eth0

Hi folks,

I have completed a search and reading of various threads regarding eth0 issues and, while I may have figured out where the problem lies, I have no idea how I can go about fixing it. Here's the situation:

I used to have FC2 installed. After updating to the 2.6.8 kernal (I believe it was), FC2 failed to boot and hung up at "bringing up interface eth0". After a bit of troubleshooting, I decided it might be worthwhile to start from scratch with FC3, so I reformatted my Linux partitions and installed FC3 without a problem. However, the issue with hanging at "bringing up interface eth0" remains. With FC2, even after the problem started, I could go back to earlier kernals and boot (and access the net) without a problem, but, of course, with FC3 newly installed, there are no earlier kernals to boot. I have tried booting to the rescue CD and running netconfig manually, but after telling it to use DHCP, the program responds with "kernal panic-not syncing-Halting" and crashes.

After some reading, I think the problem may be due to the Firewire port on my SB Audigy 2 ZS, rather than my "ethernet card" in particular. The reason I mention this is that I notice the ohcil1394 'loaded' (proper term?) shortly before the system hangs (and this is mentioned here). The problem, as usual, is that the specifics about fixing it aren't a nice step-by-step procedure that a new user to Linux/FC3 can use. I was thinking about simply removing my sound card and then booting into FC3 to see if that bypasses the problem, but the fact that it worked with earlier kernals seems to suggest the problem lies in the way the kernal is configured.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated. Keep in mind that if you ask for file contents to be posted and the like, it would be good to give some brief steps on how to go about getting the contents in the first place. Thanks!
Old 14th November 2004, 06:38 PM
bunsen Offline

when you boot up your system, you can enter the interactive menu by pressing "i". you can skip/deactivate certain services then, which is good, because you can troubleshoot a bit more. it saves you the hassle of installing/uninstalling modules or activatin/deactivating some startup-scripts.
by the way, if your networkcard functioned in previous kernels, there is absolutely no reason why it should not work with the newer kernel as the kernel structure has not been changed in this respect. more modules were added, but this doesn't make other modules unusable under normal circumstances. i believe that the trouble might be something different thant the eth0 card.
ps: if you assign dhcp, you have to make sure that the router/modem through which you are connected to the net is also set to dhcp mode. otherwise, the system might stall.
Old 14th November 2004, 07:19 PM
JamesH Offline

I had this problem and all I had to do was reboot my router.
Old 14th November 2004, 08:37 PM
Equisilus Offline

Thanks for the info. I don't have a router, so that wouldn't be a solution for me. As for entering interactive mode, I've tried that a couple of times but it won't do it. I've pressed 'i' and 'Shift-i' (for a capital I), yet it doesn't enter interactive mode (keyboard works fine otherwise). Any thoughts on that problem? Should I just hold down the 'I' key while it boots, or just rapidly press it until it accepts? Haven't tried that yet.

I have the setup use DHCP to detect the network settings. This is what I usually used with both my WinXP and, formerly, FC2.

I'll attempt to get into interactive mode, though. Does it allow anything different than netconfig does? Netconfig halted when setting up the network as well.
Old 14th November 2004, 09:33 PM
pbtpu40 Offline

Post Single User Mode

Another option you can try is bringing the computer up in single user mode. Nothing will start up but the bare minimum. You can bring the system up in single user mode by editing the kernel command at the grub prompt and adding single to the end.
Code:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet  Single
The system will bring up the bare minimum and you can then edit your /etc/modprobe.conf.
mine looks as follows:
Code:
alias eth0 e100
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
alias usb-controller2 uhci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias char-major-195* nvidia
alias scsi_hostadapter1 sbp2
#Turn off IPv6
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off
Comment out the ohci1394 devices if you believe this to be the problem. Use VI or Emacs to edit the file. With VI just move the cursor to the line using the arrow keys, hit i and then # then move to the next line and hit # again, no need to hit i again. once you're done, hit ESC and then :wq
at this point the file has been saved and VI closed.
Do a shutdown -r now and when the machine comes back up, if OCHI is the problem she should boot.
hope this helps.
VHDL -- When software just wont do.
http://s1.sigamp.com/users/pbtpu40/newsig.png
Old 14th November 2004, 09:35 PM
Equisilus Offline

Just an update: I've obviously been pressing 'i' at the wrong time (when the message tells me to do it). I've since started pressing it repeatedly through the text-based loading into the graphical phase and I've finally been able to enter interactive mode. Bypassing the network detection there allows me to get into FC3 and I'll set up my network manually from there. Hopefully that'll all work out okay.

Thanks for the tips. It's been bothering me for a while, but I just never got around to correcting it.
Old 14th November 2004, 09:49 PM
bunsen Offline

good luck
Old 14th November 2004, 10:31 PM
Equisilus Offline

Thanks for the luck, bunsen, but it seems the problem continues. I've tried going into the network configuration within FC3, but as soon as I activate a new connection, the system freezes. Only a hard boot can get me out of it.

I tried a couple of different things. One was to simple edit the network settings that were already present to reflect my proper ip, network mask, default gateway, and DNS server name. Another was to delete the network connection there and manually set up a brand new one, both with manual settings (didn't work), or automatically configure (didn't work). Each time the system froze on activating the network.

One thing I noticed was that my Ethernet card, which in WinXP is listed as CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet, is thought to be a Davicom Semiconducter 21x4x DEC-Tulip compatible 10/100 Ethernet. I don't know if that's an issue here or not, but there is no CNet PRO200WL in the drop down list of cards to choose from, so I didn't bother changing it (it'd just be random guessing down the list anyway). Could this be a problem? That is, is the card using the wrong driver and that's why it's not working? The only strange thing is that it worked with the older kernals but not the newer, and I don't know why the network driver would be different between them.

Ah well, at least I can get into FC3, but without a network, it's pretty useless. If anyone has any futher advice, I'd very much appreciate it. Oh, and thank you, pbtpu40, for the tip about disabling the firewire port. Now that I can get into interactive mode and into FC3 it's plain that this isn't the problem afterall.
Old 14th November 2004, 11:44 PM
pbtpu40 Offline

Lightbulb Card Research

I did a search on your network card and found this info and more info. Oddly everyone seems to be saying that it works with no problem what so ever. The even lists it as linux compatiable.company. This is definately an odd problem.
From what I can tell the proper driver module to use with the card is dmfe.o but that is as of the 2.4 version of the kernel. This should still be the same though. When you have the system started up try,
Code:
modprobe dmfe
and let me know what happens. If it locks up just doing that, more than most likely you need to explicitly define the hardware resources, IRQ, Hardware Address, etc.

If that is the case you can preform a
Code:
cat /proc/pci
and this will echo the pci bus in text format, find your network card, and write down all the information and define it in the network control panel. If it doesn't lock up, my guess that something is broken inside the network subsystem, but thats a much larger beast.

Give it a try, let me know how it goes. :o

After reading bunsen's post, I reread the first post and noticed that this problem occured after a kernel upgrade. This leaves an easy option of reverting back to the old kernel. If you would still like to keep the new kernel try reinstalling maybe some of the modules go corrupted. You could also upgrade to Core 3. Its great.

Last edited by pbtpu40; 15th November 2004 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Noticed another Detail
Old 15th November 2004, 12:40 AM
bunsen Offline

Quote:
If it doesn't lock up, my guess that something is broken inside the network subsystem, but thats a much larger beast.
i almost believe that this will be the case... i know, i am sounding like a fatalist.
in case that it is kernel related, you could always install an older kernel of which you know that it works okay with your system. not the most elegant solution, but if it works... why not?
Old 15th November 2004, 10:32 PM
Equisilus Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbtpu40
Give it a try, let me know how it goes. :o
Thanks, I'll see how it works this evening if I have the opportunity.

Quote:
After reading bunsen's post, I reread the first post and noticed that this problem occured after a kernel upgrade. This leaves an easy option of reverting back to the old kernel. If you would still like to keep the new kernel try reinstalling maybe some of the modules go corrupted. You could also upgrade to Core 3. Its great.
Actually, this is with FC3. It also happened with the latest kernals in FC2. I upgraded to FC3 (clean install, wiped the old FC2) in an attempt to fix the problem, but it must be kernal related. Can I install old kernals into FC3 or does FC3 require the 2.6.9 and above kernals?
Old 16th November 2004, 12:16 AM
Equisilus Offline

Heya,

I tried the "modprobe dmfe" command and it did...nothing. No freeze, no output (was it supposed to have any?). When I looked at the settings for the card, I noticed that the IRQ was "Unknown", so I set that manually but activation caused a freeze, both with DHCP used automatically or by manually entering the ip, network mask, and gateway.

If it wasn't for the fact that FC2 networking didn't work with the latest kernals as well, I'd reinstall FC3 and have a go at it. However, it's unlikely that'll work as it's an ongoing problem with all recent kernals.

Hate to take up any more of anyone's time with it, but if there's any other thoughts on what I could do, I'd appreciate the advice. Perhaps this is an indication it's time to build a new system.
Old 16th November 2004, 01:06 AM
pbtpu40 Offline

Red face

Well, its good to hear it didn't freeze. And no you shouldn't see any output from the modproe command. I'm at a loss for what the problem could preciely, but at this point it is definately somewhere in the subsystem. If modprobe works it means that the kernel was able to find the hardware and talk to it. You can try and install an older kernel into FC3, but that would be a complicated task, that probably wouldn't be worth the effort. At this point if you haven't posted this bug to bugtraq I would definately do so.
I'm not sure this would have any bearing on the problem you are having as the 2.4 kernels also supported IPv6 but I would preform a lsmod and see if there are any kernel modules relating to IPv6 and if so remove them rmmod and see if that helps. I would also look at any other networking modules that may be loaded and could be removed for debugging, such as ip_tables. I have disabled IPv6 and you can see that in an earlier post. Looking at my current loaded modules I do not see anything other than my ethernet interface.
If you have access to Windows on this machine, you can load windows and get the hardware information, IRQ, mainly, and in linux cat /proc/interrupts and make sure that the network module *after a mod probe* has the proper IRQ.

But on the note of activation, how did it cause it to freeze, by changing the IRQ, or trying to bring up the interface?.
Its hard to give ideas as I myself do not have this problem. I cant think off hand what in the subsystem could be broken enough to cause the whole system to crash. Right now I would suggest staying on FC2, running an older kernel that supports your card, and post a bug to bug traq and wait for them to fix it.

Last edited by pbtpu40; 16th November 2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 16th November 2004, 10:00 PM
Equisilus Offline

Thanks for the reply, pbtpu40. The IRQ for my card in WinXP is '16'. Interestingly, I cannot get higher than 15 in FC3 (WinXP has IRQs from 0-23 available), according to the list of those to choose when I'm configuring the connection/card. I think I'll just take your advice and play around with disabling other network related modules (I know iptables is loading at startup, at least) and testing out different configurations to see if I can get some tweak to work.

About the activation, I tried it a few different ways. You can activate the connection after configuring/saving the settings in the network configuration. You can start the networkmanager service through the services. Thirdly, you can do a reboot and allow it to autodetect and start the network that way. In all instances, the system freezes as soon as it gets to doing anything related to this service.

Fortunately, since it's a clean install of FC3, I can play around with it as much as I need to in order to try to come to some fix. Unfortunately, I'm not terribly familiar with Linux in general, despite having FC2 installed for a while, in order to troubleshoot efficiently. This'll probably give me some good experience.

Anywho, thanks for the assist. I'll see what else I can manage and if I ever find a solution I'll drop by and update the thread (for anyone else who may have the issue in the future).
Old 3rd January 2005, 06:43 PM
tsorvoja Offline

I have a similar problem with my mobo-integrated nic (Epox 8KRAI). Only kernel that worked in FC2 was the first one distributed via installation CDs. One problem I found was that KT600-chipset was detected wrong. But it was fixed in next kernels. But still my nic didn't work. Frustrated...

I installed (clean) FC3, but I didn't get it to work either. Hanged to "Enabling Swap Space". I think I found a fix from fedoraforum's howtos, but I haven't had time to apply it.

I have also noticed this strange "Disabling IRQ #10" message in startup which might be the problem. Does somebody know what causes this??

Tags
bringing, eth0, fc3, hangs, interface