Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th August 2011, 09:37 PM
dkzerocool Offline

linuxfirefox
Better Netbook Setup?

For the last year and a half, I have been using the KDE Netbook Desktop do to the fact that it fits well on small screens. The problem with the KDE Netbook desktop is that it does not fit well on slow machines. It uses a lot of resources, even when you turn off all desktop effects.

Now that Gnome Shell is finally done, I have decided to give that a try, mostly because I'm more of a GTK fan and not that much a QT fan. Even more with GTK3 which is just awsome. Gnome Shell is great on netbooks. But it has one problem. Even though the shell it self is great on small screens (Much better than KDE), windows are not. The KDE Netbook version has tree functions that makes it great.

1: Any program is by default launced maximized.
2: When maximized, the window does not display any border or top.
3: Window menues are routed throw globalMenu to be displayed on the panel.

Is there any way to do these 3 things in fedora/gnome? I know that Archlinux has a globalMenu in AUR that works with gnome shell and GTK-3.
Old 30th August 2011, 09:49 AM
dkzerocool Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Better Netbook Setup?

Well, played around with the default theme, and figured out how to remove the title bar. If others want to remove the titlebar from the window also, then here is how.

1: Open /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml
2: Locate the element <frame_geometry name="max"
3: Set "has_title" to false
4: All the sub <distance elements should have the value "0" and the <border elements should have top and bottom set at "0", otherwise a tiny part of the title bar remains.

Note:
When doing this, remember that your close button is gone when maximized. But, gnome shell already includes a close option in the panel for focused windows.

Now, if anyone knows how to fix the global menu to make it work with gnome shell, please let me know.

Tags
netbook, setup