Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:04 AM
Boricua Offline

linuxfirefox
Latest grub2 update gives a "file not found" prompt; urgent assistance needed

Hi, as the title says, I'm stuck with a "file not found" message instead of grub2 menu, and a grub rescue command prompt. All sources I found are from Ubuntu forums, tried some suggestions but nothing worked. This is F16 alpha 64bit. Every bit of help will be appreciated.
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:12 AM
tox

linuxfirefox
Re: Latest grub2 update gives a "file not found" prompt; urgent assistance needed

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/upda...6f39bf8fd33388 seems a few others are getting the same problem

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=735259

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

try this fix

It works if you issue "grub2-install /dev/sda" immediately after updating (so before rebooting). All the .mod files are missing after yum update, grub2-install brings them back

update Grub2 to 1.99-4 which should fix the problem

Last edited by tox; 4th September 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:56 PM
Boricua Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Latest grub2 update gives a "file not found" prompt; urgent assistance needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/upda...6f39bf8fd33388 seems a few others are getting the same problem

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=735259

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

try this fix

It works if you issue "grub2-install /dev/sda" immediately after updating (so before rebooting). All the .mod files are missing after yum update, grub2-install brings them back
Thanks detox. I would love to try this fix but I'm already beyond reboot.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

I checked bug 735259 and found these comments by Iain Arnell:

"Not just an issue under VirtualBox. Also occurred for me with real hardware
when updating from grub2-1.99-0.2.fc16 to grub2-1.99-1.fc16. And solved for me
by running "grub2-install /dev/sda" after booting rescue image, mounting
filesystems, chroot, etc."

I have both Fedora 16 alpha and beta rc1 live cds available. Could anyone post the necessary steps to achieve this magic?
Old 2nd September 2011, 01:33 PM
Palooka Offline

linuxiceweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco_PR View Post
Thanks detox. I would love to try this fix but I'm already beyond reboot.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

I checked bug 735259 and found these comments by Iain Arnell:

"Not just an issue under VirtualBox. Also occurred for me with real hardware
when updating from grub2-1.99-0.2.fc16 to grub2-1.99-1.fc16. And solved for me
by running "grub2-install /dev/sda" after booting rescue image, mounting
filesystems, chroot, etc."

I have both Fedora 16 alpha and beta rc1 live cds available. Could anyone post the necessary steps to achieve this magic?
I knew my root partition was /dev/sda2 (dev/sda1 was the BIOS partition which the installer semed to insist on), so what I did was this:

boot from live cd
open a terminal
Code:
su -
mkdir /media/mydisk
mount -t ext4 -o rw /dev/sda2 /media/mydisk
grub2-install -boot-directory=/media/mydisk/boot /dev/sda
Reboot from hard disk.
Old 2nd September 2011, 01:54 PM
Boricua Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks, Palooka. I need to go to work but will try your suggestion when coming back.
Old 2nd September 2011, 03:06 PM
ausadl Offline

symbianunknown

did not help me . . No error but sitting at grub prompt . .
Old 2nd September 2011, 03:23 PM
skytux Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
boot from live cd
open a terminal
Code:
su -
mkdir /media/mydisk
mount -t ext4 -o rw /dev/sda2 /media/mydisk
grub2-install -boot-directory=/media/mydisk/boot /dev/sda
Reboot from hard disk.
That did the trick for me, thanks!!

Germán.
Old 3rd September 2011, 12:14 PM
Boricua Offline

linuxfirefox

Well, I ended suffering the same fate as ausadl (grub prompt), so I re-installed F16 and updated most packages except of course grub2-1.99-1.fc16.x86_64, which is the toxic one. I have been closely following the discussion in bug 735259 and, as Adam Williamson says there, this package is a "time bomb". grub2-1.99-1.fc16.x86_64 is still sitting among others in the updates-testing repo, so I hope this warning reaches all unaware present and future alpha-beta testers out there. Given that a solution is still not available (several updates appear to have issues too) I will be (and strongly suggest) avoiding any grub updates until we are told the water is safe again. This bug bites very hard.
Old 3rd September 2011, 04:33 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

well, I got hit by the grub2 bomb, and I had to boot from a livecd image, and go through all sorts of gyrations and contortions before getting a bootable system again.

What I had to do was to mount my / and /boot filesystems, create bind mounts for /dev and /proc.. Then use that tree structure as a chroot environment then run grub2-mkconfig and then grub2-install

Was a pain in the a## but it finally worked for me.
Old 4th September 2011, 12:18 AM
tox

linuxfirefox

did any of you update to grub2-1.99-4 ? i believe that fix's the problem

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/upda...92ffbeb59adb6c
Old 4th September 2011, 02:16 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I haven't tried that yet, detox.

I just installed F16 from the alpha and did an update and it broke. I got grub2 fixed, and Gnome/evolution-data-server is still broken so I really haven't done a lot with it since.

Almost afraid to update grub2 again!

Seriously, I will try that grub2 update and see what happens. If it blows up my system, not much lost since it's basically a fresh install anyway.
Old 4th September 2011, 02:24 AM
tox

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
I haven't tried that yet, detox.

I just installed F16 from the alpha and did an update and it broke. I got grub2 fixed, and Gnome/evolution-data-server is still broken so I really haven't done a lot with it since.

Almost afraid to update grub2 again!

Seriously, I will try that grub2 update and see what happens. If it blows up my system, not much lost since it's basically a fresh install anyway.
thats kinda why im waiting for either the official beta or 1 or 2 more Beta TC's before installing F16, by the sounds of it currently F16 is a pure headache . i may even wait for a RC of the beta, im in no rush to destroy a working F15 install just to have a headache to deal with

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

but i thinkl some of the blame goes towards the Gnome Devs, due to the fact F16 is so rocky atm. just look at gnome-panel, still at 3.1.5, should of been at 3.1.90 when the rest of the beta's came out there's probably a few others thats still at 3.1.4 and even 3.1.5 , very inconsistent if you ask me and you wonder why Gnome3.2 is so sloppy atm
Old 4th September 2011, 02:34 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

currently, the Gnome updates are what is breaking my F16 install. I can use KDE, LXDE or XFCE without a problem.

I do have some selinux issues, so I set it to permissive, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be any big problems with F16 at the moment.

Now if I can just figure out how to get an NFS server up and running on F16 so my F15 boxes can get to it, I'll be doing good.

But, I have a few extra machines here that I can use for testing, so I'm not really breaking a F15 install to test out F16, and I install alpha's knowing that I may not have a usable system, so nothing important goes on those machines.

Edit:

To start the nfs server, it's so simple that I overlooked it

systemctl enable nfs-server.service (to enable on boot)
systemctl start nfs-server.service (to start it without rebooting)

Last edited by DBelton; 5th September 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 4th September 2011, 02:41 AM
tox

linuxfirefox

im pretty sure they'll do another TC this week so maybe they'll have the updated Grub2 on that.

also have you tried ( i wouldnt know where to find a current one ) a boot.iso image ?
Old 4th September 2011, 02:55 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

latest F16 boot iso I can find is a couple of weeks old

64 bit:
http://mirrors.xmission.com/fedora/r..._64/os/images/

32 bit:
http://mirrors.xmission.com/fedora/r...386/os/images/

Tags
assistance, file not found, grub2, latest, needed, prompt, update, urgent