Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th April 2012, 10:35 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Laptop Recommendations

I'm looking at this now. I keep thinking of indulging myself with another notebook. It would also be nice to avoid paying the WIndows tax.
Old 28th April 2012, 12:08 AM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Outside of a few speciality vendors on the web ... Not a whole lot of hope on that front. Laptops are indeed still the Borg's domain. <..™..>
Old 28th April 2012, 12:28 AM
Trafalger888 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
+1

I am running F16 (64-bit) Xfce on a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5503. Super fast machine, and Fedora was easy to install.

I got this machine at Best Buy, and they let me try a Fedora Live CD at the store. Good test run at the store, and when I got home, I booted directly into the Fedora Live CD (first power up of the new machine). Did a little more testing, and installed Fedora.

Smooth running, very responsive, extremely happy with this machine and F16 Xfce
Another vote for the Toshiba...only problems I ever had with linux and the Toshiba is the realtek wireless card drivers...which work out of the box on F16 so that issue is a thing of the past

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Old 28th April 2012, 12:36 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

@Dan, agreed, but one place I came up with, googling those Clevos, has bare bones laptops, you can pick wireless, hard drive, and so on. I'm looking at indulging myself with complete overkill, i7, 16 GB of RAM, all for under $1000, with a 7200 rpm drive too.

It's called rjtech.com, but WARNING!!! I have no idea of their reputation, quality of product, etc.
Old 28th April 2012, 12:39 AM
Misfit138 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
I've been working with HP (usualy good laptops, bad desktops).....and IBM/Lenovo (good choice) laptops.
Personaly, i favor Toshiba. Best, fastest and easiest hw support i've ever met!....

I agree with the above completely.

IBM T-series, hp, and Toshiba are all great quality laptops. Toshiba makes some very impressive models and is the most underrated IMO.
Old 28th April 2012, 01:15 AM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
@Dan, agreed, but one place I came up with, googling those Clevos, has bare bones laptops, you can pick wireless, hard drive, and so on. I'm looking at indulging myself with complete overkill, i7, 16 GB of RAM, all for under $1000, with a 7200 rpm drive too.

It's called rjtech.com, but WARNING!!! I have no idea of their reputation, quality of product, etc.
Ayikes! And I thought my new one was a Beast!

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/pictur...pictureid=1232

A word of warning on the i7, though. If the case design and BIOS/software throttles are not up to snuff ... it will get very hot, very fast.

That being said ... There's a certain amount of satisfaction to be had watching the GIMP (and Blender) do their stuff on an engine capable of handling the job in a business-like fashion.
Old 28th April 2012, 02:05 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Heh, exactly. In my case, usually compiling, or sometimes transcoding video. Or, with that kind of beast, do a Gentoo install from stage 1, FreeBSD make buildworld and see how long it takes....sigh, I should really grow up.

On the other hand, though you're only young once, immaturity is a lifetime decision, so... we'll see.

I was actually looking at one similar to yours (an HP dv series). Also a Lenovo, seemed to have better specs but no USB 3.0. My co-worker said, "Well, freak that then. Note that I have no USB 3.0 devices, but if it doesn't have USB 3.0, I don't want it!"

Last edited by smr54; 28th April 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 28th April 2012, 03:02 AM
stevea Online

linuxfirefox

I'd wait a few months. Intel is releasing a bunch o' i7 3rd generation i7, i5, i3 parts at the end of the month including mobiles and the great news is that are fast and lower power. Their fastest non-extreme desktop is the i7-3770k at 77Watts TPD, and you can get close to that at 45 Watts ! Mobiles are power. Going to 22nm is a big power saving.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Toshiba refusing to stand behind their highly expensive toughbook products a few years back. Nope - Toshiba is far down my list.

I'm pickier than most, but most HP laptops are heavy, big and clunky. Some have bad thermal design - they overheat badly. I strongly suggest you pick a nice looking HP model and then carefully google the reviews.

MacBooks are nice looking is a bit sterile, light, thin and have horrifically bad, burn-your-lap thermal design and need surgery for battery replacement.

Lenovo's are not as svelte as the old IBMs (considering the trend factors) but they have among the best firmware Sino-Asian technology can produce. No need to fear the maximus - you can switch vid interfaces in the BIOS easily. Decent prices - no bargains.

I'm tired of duct-taping proprietary drivers esp enet drivers onto Linux systems - so to me the wifi needs to be Intel [Broadcom is a distant second, Realtek is unacceptabe] and the wired enet is lower priority but should be Intel, Marvelle, and never Realtek.

If you are gonna go for a high-end processor it's kinda silly to not feed it with a fast low power, shock-resistant SSD drive ... unless you really need a big disk on a laptop.

Read a real technical review like at http://www.notebookcheck.net (UK), and especially focus in battery life, heat and screen quality, weight.

http://www.notebookreview.com/ is OK but the reviews are mostly a regurgitation of the spec-sheet and a dozen uninformed opinions.

Last edited by stevea; 28th April 2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 11th May 2012, 01:23 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Well, I indulged, and got myself a very nice laptop from rjtech, mentioned above---Clevo 14" i7, 16GB of RAM. Complete overkill, but fun--I then said what the heck and put an SSD in it as well.

At any rate, only posting this to say that I'd previously posted I had no experience with rjtech, and after dealing with them, I'm quite satisfied--they quickly, and helpfully, answered all questions before and after purchase. If you google them, they seem to have a pretty good reputation, and I now feel it's deserved.

I'm only posting this because we (including me) are very quick to complain about vendors, so it's nice to run into a lesser known vendor who seems to have some pride in customer service.
Old 11th May 2012, 09:51 PM
Misfit138 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Well, I indulged, and got myself a very nice laptop from rjtech, mentioned above---Clevo 14" i7, 16GB of RAM. Complete overkill, but fun--I then said what the heck and put an SSD in it as well.

At any rate, only posting this to say that I'd previously posted I had no experience with rjtech, and after dealing with them, I'm quite satisfied--they quickly, and helpfully, answered all questions before and after purchase. If you google them, they seem to have a pretty good reputation, and I now feel it's deserved.

I'm only posting this because we (including me) are very quick to complain about vendors, so it's nice to run into a lesser known vendor who seems to have some pride in customer service.
Good for you.
I was drooling over their site for longer than I care to admit. Glad they treated you well.
Old 12th May 2012, 04:25 AM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

I never had bad luck with Lenovo and Dell laptops, but I had lots of trouble with Toshiba.
Old 12th May 2012, 12:40 PM
zuser Offline

linuxsusechrome

Agree that Toshiba are quality notebooks but unfortunately notorious for thermal control problems while running Linux. I have used a Satellite U500 since Dec 2009 and this is single biggest issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit138 View Post
I agree with the above completely.

IBM T-series, hp, and Toshiba are all great quality laptops. Toshiba makes some very impressive models and is the most underrated IMO.
Old 12th May 2012, 01:04 PM
Misfit138 Offline

linuxchrome

Toshiba Satellites are a great value imo, and have been reliable for me. The Tecra, Portege and Qosmio are especially the models which impress me with their performance.
Old 12th May 2012, 09:58 PM
kpedersen Offline

unknownfirefox

Like others have suggested, if you want to play it safe, get yourself an IBM (Lenovo) Thinkpad.

These things are still one of the most common laptops around due to businesses refreshing their hardware and selling the older ones cheap on ebay.

The X-series of Thinkpads are a little smaller if you want more mobility and the T-series are a tad more powerful if you want to use it as a workstation.

They also usually come with integrated Intel GFX cards which frankly are still the only things that provide trouble free accelerated 3D across all linux distros (OOB) and even BSDs (The nvidia binary blobs may work now, but for how long?)

Last edited by kpedersen; 12th May 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 13th May 2012, 06:57 AM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

I have a nice Toshiba Satellite U500 with a burned out display processor

Great machines, but rather leave them running whatever they were bought with.

Tags
laptop, recommendations