Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th September 2011, 10:49 AM
sijothakadiyel Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
grub-mkrescue missing

dear friend

i am tring to install linux from scratch on my harddisk . for that i need to take the back up of grub configuration. i searched the internet and found that grub-mkrescue command is used for that purpose . But in my fedora 14 that command is missing . please tell me some solution . ( i am follwing lfs project )

with regards
sijo
Old 16th September 2011, 11:17 AM
leigh123linux

linuxredhatfirefox
Re: grub-mkrescue missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijothakadiyel View Post
dear friend

i am tring to install linux from scratch on my harddisk . for that i need to take the back up of grub configuration. i searched the internet and found that grub-mkrescue command is used for that purpose . But in my fedora 14 that command is missing . please tell me some solution . ( i am follwing lfs project )

with regards
sijo

grub-mkrescue is for grub2 only , f14 has grub1.
Old 17th September 2011, 07:06 AM
sijothakadiyel Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

dear sir

how can i install grub2 in my system (f14) . does yum install grub2.i686 make any damage ?

thanks in advance
Old 17th September 2011, 07:29 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

it could leave you with an unbootable system

I was thinking that in F14, if you installed grub2, it doesn't overwrite your grub1 boot sector, but it installs the packages so that you can manually change over to grub2 if you wish.

I wouldn't install it unless I had a way to boot the system in case grub2 did update and mess up the boot sector, though.

Tags
boot, bootloader, grub, missing, mkrescue