Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th September 2011, 02:17 PM
lipisak Offline

linuxchrome
Switch from Grub legacy to Grub 2

Hi folks,
I've upgraded my F15 to f16 preBeta two weeks ago, everyhing seems to run smoothly. the only thing that wasn't upgraded was GRUB legacy. Everyone speaks about GRUB2.

Ok I have two questions:
1) Do I need Grub2?
2) If I wish to upgrade it to GRUB2, how should I make it...I don't think, that
Code:
yum install grub2
will make the thing.

Thanks for answers.
Old 29th September 2011, 03:36 PM
fpmurphy Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Switch from Grub legacy to Grub 2

I may be wrong but because the the grub_boot partition requirement by GRUB2 for GPT boot disks I suspect that you will have to do a full re-install.
Old 29th September 2011, 03:53 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

you are probably correct on that point, fpmurphy.

But, that is assuming that the OP is running with GPT formatted disks, and they have a BIOS system.

and no, just installing grub2 won't do it for you. yum will install grub2, but it doesn't replace your actual bootloader when it installs it. You will have to manually go back and replace your grub bootloader with grub2.

The yum install grub2 would be the first step, but then you would need to go in and tell grub2 to put it's bootloader code into the boot sector. (at least that was how it was done in the past. Prevented accidently over-writing your boot sector and having an un-bootable system)

Before doing anything, you need to make sure you will be able to run grub2 without a full re-install as mentioned above.

1: Do you have your disks formatted with GUID (GPT) partition tables?
2: Are you running a machine that has BIOS (as opposed to EFI)?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, you will require a bios boot partition to run grub2 as your bootloader, and will require a full re-install (Or at least resizing and moving around partitions) to get that created.

However, if your hard drives are formatted with MBR partition tables, you won't need the bios boot partition.
Old 29th September 2011, 09:26 PM
lipisak Offline

I have 3 years old laptop so still on bios. And because of dualboot with w7(work) i have mbr formated hdd. So I could use grub 2, right?
But w7 installation is too important for me as c# developer. So i will let it as it is until i'll buy new hdd.
Thanks for replies.
J.

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk
Old 30th September 2011, 12:01 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

it's easy to tell if your disk is msdos or gpt labelled: just run parted on it and hit 'p'. it'll tell you.

I would guess that disk will be msdos labelled, in which case yes, you could switch to grub2. I don't have a precise procedure for the switch, though. I'm still on grub1...
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 30th September 2011, 02:23 AM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Here's a HOWTO...
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=262670
I don't use Fedora 15 or 16, but I played with GRUB 2 in Fedora 12 and 13. I found when I installed the grub2 package that GRUB 2 was a menu entry in the legacy GRUB boot menu. And I think there was a new ~/grub2 folder for all the GRUB 2 modules and stuff. Choosing GRUB 2 in the legacy GRUB menu would go to the GRUB 2 menu. You can re-install the GRUB boot loader with the grub2-install command and boot directly to the GRUB 2 boot menu (hey, that's probably why Fedora uses the grub2-whatever script names...so the two GRUBs can co-exist until 2 becomes the default).

Later on, I got really brave and started uninstalling grub and moving the /boot/grub folder (not /boot with the kernels, obviously) before installing grub2. That gave me a clean /boot/grub directory (it may have been /boot/grub2) with only GRUB 2 modules and stuff. Then grub2-install for the boot loader.

It's okay. I had to find out what the fuss was all about. I don't use it now. Actually, I prefer GRUB for DOS as my main and permanent boot loader to boot all systems. In spite of its prehistoric name, it's a maintained, powerful, and versatile boot loader (IMO). It's just not pretty to look at (so what, it's gone in five seconds).
Old 6th October 2011, 10:08 AM
jeffrey Offline

linuxfirefox

In the menu there is an entry -->Applications -->Administration--> Bootloader Configuration. On clicking it an error message pops up telling me error reading /boot/grub/grub.conf
I am using F16-Beta-KDE with all the updates and have grub2 booting my system. I think this should be also fixed for the final version.
Old 6th October 2011, 02:41 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

well, jeffrey..

that Bootloader Configuration application is to configure legacy grub, and not grub2.

But I do agree with you. Either it should be updated to work with grub2, or removed from the repo for F16. (Or at least a notation put in that it only works with legacy grub)

Tags
grub, legacy, switch