Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th October 2011, 06:28 AM
faijaii Offline

windows_7ie
New to programming and fedora - help!

hey, i'm a newbie at linux, and i wanted to learn how to program so i downloaded fedora. BUT I have not actually booted it onto my pc yet. is this a good OS to start progamming on? and if so why? is it because of the applications fedora has to offer? how does fedora and programming go together? what languages should I learn first? (sorry very new)
Old 14th October 2011, 07:22 AM
flyingfsck Online

linuxfirefox
Re: New to programming and feodra - help!

Howdy,

Welcome to the world of Free Open Source Software. One of the tenets of FOSS is to encourage people to learn programming.

With your Linux system, you not only get a machine that is usable for home entertainment, business and engineering, you also get a full development system. All the tools you need to study multiple languages are available Free and gratis and are in most cases trivial to install, be that C, Perl, Python, Java, Ada, Fortran, what have you. A Linux system is a veritable Rosetta Stone of computer languages and supports almost all computer languages - if you discover one that isn't, then you are free to add it!

So, don't be scared - dive right in - after making a proper backup of all your data on your machine of course...
Old 14th October 2011, 07:40 PM
Flounder Offline

linuxfirefox

Fedora or Linux in general for that matter is one of the best operating systems to learn how to program on. All of your tools on here are free, the libraries are open to your view, licenses are far less of a headache, the design of the system itself makes more sense than another well used operating system, and it is more fun in general on this platform. It is far more worth while than using Windows. If you want to get into specific distros, Fedora is a good choice because it uses some of the latest tools.
Old 15th October 2011, 10:06 AM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

yeah linux is for most languages a good platform to program on. There are several of such threads in the fedora archive:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv...php/t-882.html
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-266854.html
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-168375.html
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-261691.html
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv...p/t-98390.html
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv...p/t-91313.html
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=127386

I myself have programming experience with C, C++, php and a little python 3. Of these I would recommend C or python for the beginning. Or if you are very interested in web development php is also a good choice.

As IDE for C, C++ I can recommend Code::Blocks (as codeblocks in repo) or Anjuta. For php as lighweight IDE geany or if you want a heavier IDE phpeclipse. Eclipse works also well with C, C++, Java and many other languages.

I recommend that you not only learn programming via online tutorials, but also choose a good book. But for a first impression of a language you can also use online resources.
Old 15th October 2011, 06:52 PM
faijaii Offline

windows_7ie

Where would I practice my programming? Are there specific applications that I can use? Or would I download some third-party application? Would I need to know C before I dived into C++? And if I were interested in a career of software engineering what kind of programming should I begin with?
Old 15th October 2011, 08:04 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Frankly there are a huge number of languages available free on Linux and other open source. I use Linux (mostly Fedora but also RHEL) professional for cross development work, primarily in C. But I also tinker around with Hsakell and Lua an Eiffel.
--

The first question to ask - is Fedora a GOOD choice for a Linux beginner. My answer is that it's an acceptable choice, but probably not the best choice. Fedora is constantly changing with new and sometimes objectionable changes happening every few months. In recent months a LOT of users have become very unhappy with desktop updates (Gnome/Gnomes/gnome-shell), with how the system services work (systemd). In addition Fedora has a fairly strict policy of not including any propriety drivers of apps. So if you read this forum you'll find that some hardware, particularly video drivers requires the user to load and build device drivers so the can get good vid performance.

This forum has a number of people who provided good "how to" type help (we are all volunteers here - it's nobody's job) to get past these limitation, BUT IMO (and it is just my opinion) if you aren't prepared to get involved in repairing ,modifying and reconfiguring - then fedora is likely to be a bumpy and unpleasant road for you. To repeat you can get a load of help with your fedora problems on this forum - but don't choose fedora believing there will be no problems.

You *MIGHT* get a better more polished user experience ,with fewer problems from Ubuntu or Mint or Kubntu - but my experience with these is stale. Others can make better suggestions.

==========

Quote:
Originally Posted by faijaii View Post
Where would I practice my programming? Are there specific applications that I can use? Or would I download some third-party application? Would I need to know C before I dived into C++? And if I were interested in a career of software engineering what kind of programming should I begin with?
To use any programming language you need the compiler or/and interpreter, and you need a way to edit files containing program - a text editor. You have many choices. Some people like the "training wheels" of an IDE, and it does offer certain valuable services, but it also imposes some limitations. I have to guess that most Linux programmers don't use an IDE. Eclipse is available, and there is at least one other in the repo (can't recall). For larger or shared projets you will want to learn to use a code control systems - subversion and git and perhaps bazaar/bzr are on the "should learn" list.

C and C++ are entirely different languages that sadly share a common root name. This leads to some misunderstandings more than benefits. People who learn C first tend to bring their bad procedural habits to C++, so they may never learn to use this OO language properly. OTOH people who learn a true OO language like Java first have a hard time adapting to pointer arithmetic and to using indirection and manually managing memory. So there is no good order or choice for learning. Just be sure to clear your mind of preconceptions and realize the OO and procedural languages are very different things. Perhaps it would be best to learn a little Lisp (clisp, common lisp), or haskell (a functional language) first to free you of the common preconception traps of the common OO and procedural languages.

For text editors - gedit is perfectly competent for pushing chars around on a screen and requires no learning, and therefore has no power. 'vi' or 'vim' is a sort of lingua franca of UNIX text editors. Every competent UNIX/Linux person must be able to use basic vi. vim has a lot of extensions with various amounts of poewr and cleverness, including a few language specific modes. Of course power users will want to learn emacs, but it will take 6 months or a year of constant use to train your fingers and mind to use it effortlessly. Emacs has support for language modes for languages I've never heard of, and more power functions than anyone will need. If you need some odd editing function, it's a good assumption that it's already present in emacs. Has a nice interface for tags and cscope and more.

I think your FIRST task is to decide which programming language to choose. This has to be based on what you want to accomplish. You need to decide that.
Old 16th October 2011, 11:06 PM
faijaii Offline

windows_7ie

Should I learn how to use the terminal before I even begin trying to learn how to program? And Where do I learn how to use the terminal anyway?
Old 17th October 2011, 10:49 AM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfedorafirefox

Been a hobby coder for Visual Basic for several years, finaly moved to linux, and fell in love with bash

My personal favor, would suggest to, yes, learn the terminal, there are sooooo many things you can do with just the shell.
My impression is, that the linux terminal is just as powerfull as any programing language on Windows.

Further, i do love "gedit" which has, for my taste, the best syntax highligting with cobalt theme.
Old 17th October 2011, 11:16 AM
flyingfsck Online

linuxfirefox

The Linux Documentation Project:
http://tldp.org
Old 18th October 2011, 02:47 AM
faijaii Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Re: New to programming and fedora - help!

Sorry, for being a pest.. but i'm not quite sure what cobalt or gedit is. I do know that VB is a language to program on Windows. anyhow where do I learn to use terminal? I have this book called "Linux in a nutshell" -- would this be a good start? And why should I learn terminal before jumping into programming?
Old 18th October 2011, 05:31 AM
flyingfsck Online

linuxfirefox

The Linux Documentation Project:
http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/
Old 18th October 2011, 09:08 PM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by faijaii View Post
Sorry, for being a pest.. but i'm not quite sure what cobalt or gedit is. I do know that VB is a language to program on Windows. anyhow where do I learn to use terminal? I have this book called "Linux in a nutshell" -- would this be a good start? And why should I learn terminal before jumping into programming?
it is a decent book, jump in and read, i hope you know what a terminal is and how to start, then you don't find this book hard, but as flyingfsck mentioned, first read the bash-beginners guide(link given by him).

terminal or a shell is the oldest,universal and flexible way to interact with the computer and can also be used as a small tool to get basic work done, text editing,file sorting,finding files and rudimentary programming(or scripting).
Old 18th October 2011, 11:59 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxarchfirefox

Gedit is like notepad, depending on your DE (desktop enviroment) it might be required to be installed, Where as cobalt is just a color theme, looks like the old COBOL or PASCAL, heck even QBASIC things, if you recall them

Sadly i dont have my links on this distro available, else i'd share some... recalling... roadrunner something, has some nice articles about linux scripting.

Tags
fedora, programming