Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th October 2011, 08:30 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox
Sharing a portable hard disc between Linux and Mac x (HFS Plus)

Is it possible to write to portable hard disc that has been formatted with HFS Plus (Mac OS Extended). From what i understand, read only support is available at this time.

I installed the following packages:

Code:
yum install hfsutils hfsplusutils
What about formatting the hard disc with hfs rather than hfs+ (journalled)? Is this the best option to share portable hard discs?

By the way I have networked Fedora 14 with MAC X via NFS which has made the user very happy.

Fedora 17 XFCE x64, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS x64, Windows 7 64bit
HP-ProBook 5830 i3 - PC AMD Core 4
MacBookPro v10.7.4 - 2.8GHz i7 4GB RAM
Old 19th October 2011, 01:00 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera
Re: Sharing a portable hard disc between Linux and Mac x (HFS Plus)

I seem to remember that NTFS is readable by both--not sure about writing though. I remember googling this about 8 months ago, and being surprised that it wasn't straightforward, but don't really remember what the results were--in the end, we didn't really share the drive, just used NFS if it was necessary to copy something to my wife's Mac.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 20th October 2011, 01:22 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Sharing a portable hard disc between Linux and Mac x (HFS Plus)

Last I checked, you can read and write HFS+ drives in linux, but.. You can not write to HFS+ journals. You have to disable journalling on the HFS+ drive before writing it from linux.

Tags
disc, hard, hfs, linux, mac, portable, sharing