Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th October 2011, 07:34 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
VirtualBox screen redraw woes

I'm having some problems switching to different tty text consoles and back to gnome-shell with F16 as a guest in VirtualBox. I don't know how to go about figuring how if this is an F16 or Virtualbox anomaly or bug.

When I switch to tty3 or 4 text console, within a few seconds the VM window containing that text console has its contents replaced with part of the GUI tty. So looking at the screen shots attached, "normal.jpg" is what I see at first, and quickly changes to "anomalous.jpg" which seems to be part of the gnome-shell login window.

Yet the VirtualBox main application's Preview section shows the screen correctly - i.e. I can type commands and they will appear in the Preview section as expected but obviously way too small to read, while the VM window itself is obscured by this GUI overlay anomaly. See "preview.jpg"

If I use the Virtualbox menu to change to full screen or scale mode and then back, I can temporarily regain the text console, but it's always quickly replaced by this GUI anomaly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	normal.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	21993   Click image for larger version

Name:	anomalous.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	21994   Click image for larger version

Name:	preview.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	21995  
Old 30th October 2011, 08:13 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: VirtualBox screen redraw woes

And then when I try to return from text console to gnome the GUI is totally hosed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Returntognome.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	21996  
Old 4th November 2011, 07:41 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfirefox

This should be fixed with 4.1.6
Quote:
X.Org Additions: fixed graphical corruption when switching to a virtual terminal (bug #9490)
Old 6th November 2011, 03:57 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

Appears to be fixed with VBox 4.1.6. Not fixed is Gnome 3.2 still goes to Fallback experience on a default installation even after guest additions are installed. If I set SELinux to permissive mode, Gnome 3.2 loads in Standard experience.

Even after 'restorecon -nvr /' and rebooting, if SELinux is enforcing, I always get Fallback experience.