Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 2nd November 2011, 01:03 AM
tox

windows_7firefox
Google to start charging for Google Maps

Quote:
The BBC reports that from January 1, heavy users of the Google Maps API service will be slugged.

Charges will kick in when websites exceed a limit of more than 25,000 map "hits" a day.

The change is aimed at travel firms and real estate agents, which use Google Maps to show customers a view of locations they are interested in.

Google says the limit "will only affect 0.35 per cent of users".

Thor Mitchell, product manager of Maps API at Google, said: "We need to secure its long-term future by ensuring that even when used by the highest-volume for-profit sites, the service remains viable." The BBC said Google is expected to charge $4 every 1000 views over the limit
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15523050
Old 3rd November 2011, 10:11 AM
birdwatcher

linuxfirefox
Re: Google to start charging for Google Maps

One would think that after all the things google has stolen from others and all the opensource projects they have activley killed that maybe they would give something back to be nice.
Old 3rd November 2011, 08:04 PM
dragonbite Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
$4 every 1000 views over the limit
Depending on the location, if a site (like a convention center) has a map on their site for giving people directions and they have a particularly popular event going on could they get their applet either blocked or starting to cost them money?

If this were to happen, I could see Bing getting a little bump up in usership.
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:40 PM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
One would think that after all the things google has stolen from others and all the opensource projects they have activley killed that maybe they would give something back to be nice.
yes Google is evil but Micro$oft is the Evil empire as in "Empire strikes back". so no Bing only DuckDuckGo.

Last edited by fedvasu; 3rd November 2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: following posting guidelines
Old 4th November 2011, 12:54 AM
birdwatcher

unknownunknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedvasu View Post
yes Google is evil but Micro$oft is the Evil empire as in "Empire strikes back". so no Bing only DuckDuckGo.
You seems to like that duckduck thing. I tried it and the results isn't as bad as I expected, are it using its own search algoritm or is it powerd by Google?
Old 4th November 2011, 01:06 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
You seems to like that duckduck thing. I tried it and the results isn't as bad as I expected, are it using its own search algoritm or is it powerd by Google?
According to Duckduckgo:

Quote:
Where do you get your results?

From over 30 sources, including DuckDuckBot (our own crawler), crowd-sourced sites (in our own index), Yahoo! "BOSS", "embed.ly", "WolframAlpha", "EntireWeb", "Bing" & "Blekko". For any given search, there is usually a vertical search engine out there that does a better job at answering it than a general search engine. Our long-term goal is to get you information from that best source, ideally in instant answer form.
Old 4th November 2011, 10:04 AM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
as Dbelton broadly elaborates , it's basically built using Yahoo! API's ,i guess from 2012 all yahoo queries will go through bing. when search fails they let you use, Google,Bing or Yahoo!.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:43 AM
trigpoint Offline

symbiansafari

How about OpenStreetMap as an alternative?

I hate bing, I used to use multimap, but since it has become bing they have removed a lot of the useful functionality that multimap had. The big one being removing the support for grid references in the url.
Old 4th November 2011, 01:03 PM
fedvasu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigpoint View Post
How about OpenStreetMap as an alternative?

I hate bing, I used to use multimap, but since it has become bing they have removed a lot of the useful functionality that multimap had. The big one being removing the support for grid references in the url.
not much of development in openstreetMap , read phoronix article on pathetic state of "high-proprity" FSF projects , I disagree with phoronix about many issues but i completely agree with the lead(only?) editor on this.
Old 5th November 2011, 08:52 AM
trigpoint Offline

symbiansafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedvasu View Post
not much of development in openstreetMap , read phoronix article on pathetic state of "high-proprity" FSF projects , I disagree with phoronix about many issues but i completely agree with the lead(only?) editor on this.
I did read the article, but must admit its not my experience of OpenStreetMap, whilst there is detail to add and minor changes, its been a long time since I have come across a clean area to play with. If you need a map to put on your site to show where your business is, them its not hard to go out and update OpenStreetMap.

Was a bit suprised by the comments on tax software, its just not something normal people use. The self employed have accountants and on the rare occasion you need it you get an interest statement from the bank, a few share dividend slips and your Annual earnings statement from your employer, what else would you need?
Old 5th November 2011, 03:09 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

You must not be in the United States where the Infernal Revenue Service and the esteemed congress have teamed up to make the tax code a undecipherable code that takes numerous politicians and lawyers many years just to read it, and even then there is no way that they could ever even hope to understand it.

I would have to say that it has gotten to where over 90% of the individual taxpayers use some form of tax software, and the self-employed hire an accountant that uses pretty much the same tax software.

The only winners in our hieroglyphic tax code are the large corporations and they end up paying little or no tax due to the many loopholes that their millions of dollars bought congress critters to include.
Old 5th November 2011, 03:23 PM
dragonbite Offline

linuxcroschrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
The only winners in our hieroglyphic tax code are the large corporations and they end up paying little or no tax due to the many loopholes that their millions of dollars bought congress critters to include.
And Accountants!
Old 5th November 2011, 03:36 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Yep! and they are forcing even more to go to accountants versus the "other" tax preparers, too.

Quote:
According to the newly revised Circular 230 rules, those individuals who are not Circular 230 Practitioners (Licensed CPAs, Attorneys, Enrolled Agents, Enrolled Actuaries and Enrolled Retirement Plan Agents) are considered unenrolled preparers and, as such, have limited practice rights.

Unenrolled preparers have been currently issued what is called a “provisional PTIN”. These individuals will have to pass a test by 2013, complete a minimum level of CPE annually and pass background checks (including fingerprinting). Licensed CPAs are exempt from this testing and already meet stricter CPE requirements to maintain their license.
What a crock of #$#%@%!
Old 7th November 2011, 01:51 AM
dragonbite Offline

linuxcroschrome

Oh, I thought it said
Quote:
“provisional PITN”
meaning provisional Pain In The Neck!
Old 10th November 2011, 01:20 AM
friTTe Offline

linuxchrome