Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd November 2011, 04:17 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Unhappy avahi problem

Somewhere in the forums, I can't find the thread, there is a long standing problem introduced in Fedora 15 that I don't think anyone filed a bug on because I can't find it in the bugzilla, but Avahi after a certain period of time just won't resolve anything, at least with ssh.

For example:
Code:
ssh chris@f16.local
within the first few minutes of a reboot or restart of avahi-daemon does resolve and I can login. At some later point, not sure how long it takes but it's less than 5 minutes but not much less than 5 minutes, I get:
Code:
ssh: Could not resolve hostname f16.local: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
This is a bidirectional problem, so it happens on remote machines trying to connect to the Fedora machine, or from the Fedora machine to other hosts. If I restart avahi:

Code:
systemctl restart avahi-daemon.service
The problem is temporarily resolved, again for a few minutes. But I'm not finding anything in messages or dmesg to indicate what the cause is. Getting a status on avahi-daemon is unrevealing, it claims it's running and active, but nothing resolves.

Last edited by chrismurphy; 2nd November 2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 4th November 2011, 02:50 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: avahi problem

Before I start working on filing a bug it would be nice if someone can confirm/deny they are having this problem also. In the meantime I will see about cleanly installing RC5 and trying to reproduce it, but this is the same problem I've had with F15 even with firewall turned off. I have not played around with SELinux though, but seems to me that there wouldn't be a ~3 minute period of correct functionality and then nothing if it were an SELinux issue.
Old 4th November 2011, 10:12 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: avahi problem

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=444427

This is completely fakaked in my opinion. There isn't even a default entry in Firewall for Avahi. So by default Avahi is enabled, and by default it's blocked 3 minutes later once the firewall finally fully materializes and blocks the port. I think this is a silly bug.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Solution in the meantime is to go to the Firewall application, find in Trusted Services "Multicast DNS (mDNS)" check it and apply the change.

Last edited by chrismurphy; 4th November 2011 at 10:11 PM.