Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th November 2011, 06:34 PM
jaszandre Offline

windows_7firefox
Fedora16: After I updated the system, Gnome 3 stopped working

Fedora 16 has been working fine since the fresh installation. I've even installed the Nvidia drivers from the web site, not from RPM Fusion and I did it successfully. But today I updated the system, and now Gnome 3 stopped working and I only see something like Gnome 2 interface. I've also noticed that the grub has another choice 3.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64.

what can I do to solve this problem?... thanks in advanced for your help.
Old 14th November 2011, 09:15 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora16: After I updated the system, Gnome 3 stopped working

You really should have used Leigh's instructions for Nvidia from the Guides & Solutions Forum. The akmod-nvidia's are the best option, btw.

As it is, if you've used the Nvidia drivers from their site, I believe you'll have to do that procedure every time there's a kernel change. Try booting into the old kernel and see if your drivers still work okay or if something else borked.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 15th November 2011, 01:26 AM
jaszandre Offline

windows_7firefox
Question Re: Fedora16: After I updated the system, Gnome 3 stopped working

ok.. like you told me "The akmod-nvidia's are the best option"... is there any way to uninstall the nvidia drivers from the site and then install the ones from RPM fusion? I would like to use the RPM Nvidia Drivers.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Hi... I would like to give more information about my problem. Today, after updating the system, When I turn on my PC, I have these three options in the grub:

Fedora (3.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64) <--- this is the new option
Fedora Linux , with Linux 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
Fedora Linux , with Linux 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64 (recovery)

1. If I choose the first option, it starts charging but then it stops, and that's it. I can't go on, so I have to turn off the computer with the computer power button.

2. If I choose the second option, it starts charging and then I see the login screen, but everything is terrible because the screen is split in two parts and I can't see anything, it's a completely mess.

I've done what Bob said, I've reinstalled the same Nvidia Drivers stored in my HDD (the same from the Nvidia web site) . During the installation, it told me that current Nvidia drivers would be uninstalled before installing the new driver, so I accepted. It began the installation process and then, I got this error:

File: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so is not a symbol link

but then it continued installing the drivers. At the end of the process, It was a successfull installation. After that, these are the results when I try booting:

1. If I choose the first option (with the new kernel), it's the same problem: it starts charging but then it stops, and that's it. I can't go on, so I have to turn off the computer with the computer power button again.

2. If I choose the second option (with the old kernel 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64), now everything is ok !! I can use my Fedora 16 again without any problem until now.

So everything is perfect. But after having had this problem, I have some questions to do.

1. In my case, What happened with the new kernel? I'm using the new kernel or not? Now, I am booting from the second option Fedora Linux , with Linux 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64 and the system tells me that it's up to date. It means that I'm using the new kernel 3.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64, right?

2. My other question is , what about the first option Fedora (3.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64) ? it doesn't work, Is it ok it is located in the Grub even if it doesn't work?

3. And the last question, the error in the Nvidia driver installation?
File: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so is not a symbol link

is it important?

thanks in advanced for your help and I hope someone can answer my questions.

Tags
fedora16, gnome, stopped, updated, working