Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th November 2011, 09:39 PM
tuxor Online

linuxfirefox
Pidgin "Gnome shell connector" issue

I'm using Pidgin with plugin Gnome shell connector and the gnome-shell-extension-pidgin (installed via yum), for more information see here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnomeshpidgin/
https://github.com/kagesenshi/gnome-...ensions-pidgin

Now pidgin integrates into Gnome shell like empathy does, for more information about this, have a look here: http://lxnews.org/2011/01/08/gnome-s...ons-explained/

I can answer new messages directly without opening the IM-window itself, BUT if I read a message in the "gnome-shell-message-box" (and maybe write an answer), the message is still marked as "unread", i.e. the icon in the bottom right corner is still the "new message" icon instead of the usual "pidgin" icon:
Click image for larger version

Name:	icon.png
Views:	51
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	22109

I would expect the "new" message to be marked as read, as soon as I read it inside this gnome-shell-box, or at least as soon as I have written an answer. Is there any option in Pidgin to disable this notification icon? I can't find it in the preferences.

Last edited by tuxor; 14th November 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 28th November 2011, 10:03 PM
tuxor Online

linuxfirefox
Re: Pidgin "Gnome shell connector" issue

Is there anybody at all using the gnome-shell-extension-pidgin?
Old 20th December 2011, 02:17 AM
Hnrch Offline

linuxchrome

I just installed gnome-shell-extension-pidgin and activated gnome shell connector but is not working
Old 20th December 2011, 06:53 AM
tuxor Online

linuxsafari

Please also install gnome-tweak-tool (it's in yum) and activate the pidgin-extension from there. Then it should work. Would be cool to have your feedback how you like it :-)
Old 20th December 2011, 05:19 PM
Hnrch Offline

linuxchrome

It's working now! Thanks mate. By the way i don't see the "new message" after i read it from the gnome shell. Cheers!
Old 7th May 2012, 06:25 PM
sordidarchetypr Offline

linuxchrome
Exclamation Re: Pidgin "Gnome shell connector" issue

Just as an update, I was able to succesfully get integration working using the gnome-tweak-tool, however, there are two awful bugs with this...

One: when a notification pops up for a new message, I can use the mousewheel to scroll up through the message, but not down. (to scroll down I have to actually use the scroll bar)

Two: 50% of the time, apostraphes show up as ' in the message window in the notification window. If I look in pidgin, the same message will show up fine, however.

Other then that, it's pretty neat. Although I do wish there was some sort of icon in the upper right near the volume icon that would alert me when new messages are waiting.
Old 19th July 2012, 12:15 PM
lunatico Offline

linuxchrome

Shouldn't these also integrate Pidgin status with gnome-shell user status?

My status on the top right user menu is always unavailable...

Tags
gnome shell connector, pidgin