Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd November 2011, 08:03 AM
daantje Offline

windows_7chrome
ATI and Nvidia graphic cards in Fedora 16

Hey everyone,

I'm struggeling to get my Nvidia 8400GS (primary pciE) and my ATI 4870 (secondary pciE) to work under fedora 16 at the same time.
If I install Fedora from the live media, I can only select my screen on my Nvidia card.
Once I install the ATI driver, I see a little fedora sign on the ATI monitors, but X wont start and I'll see the startuplog on the Nvidia screen.

Can somebody tell me how I should configure Fedora and X to get 2 drivers loaded simoultaneously and use them?

Daan

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

To clarify: if I try to install Nvidia drivers, yum tells me that it will conflict with the ATI drivers, thus not installs

---------- Post added 22nd November 2011 at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 21st November 2011 at 09:40 PM ----------

No-one?
Old 24th November 2011, 12:12 AM
snoop20 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: ATI and Nvidia graphic cards in Fedora 16

Bin the ATI.
Old 24th November 2011, 12:20 AM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

Use either ATI's driver or the Nvidia driver, depending on which card you want to use. I'm pretty sure that you can't use AMD/ATI's propritary driver and Nvidia's drivers simultaneously.

If you can't boot into graphical mode, you can add nomodeset to the kernel boot line, maybe it will help. Then it will probably use the Vesa driver.
Old 24th November 2011, 04:14 PM
daantje Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post
Use either ATI's driver or the Nvidia driver, depending on which card you want to use. I'm pretty sure that you can't use AMD/ATI's propritary driver and Nvidia's drivers simultaneously.

If you can't boot into graphical mode, you can add nomodeset to the kernel boot line, maybe it will help. Then it will probably use the Vesa driver.
Thanks! As soon as I come home, I will try this out.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Quote:

Got my ATI back in the pc again with Nvidia drivers on, but the NVIDIA settings manager doesn't show the ATI card...

lspci | grep VGA shows:
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV770 [Radeon HD 4870]
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)

Last edited by daantje; 24th November 2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old 24th November 2011, 04:24 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

if you installed the AMD/ATI driver without the Nvidia one, you can use your Radeon card. Or otherwise with only Nvidia drivers installed, only your Nvidia card.

Last edited by Fenrin; 24th November 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 24th November 2011, 08:07 PM
daantje Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
if you installed the AMD/ATI driver without the Nvidia one, you can use your Radeon card. Or otherwise with only Nvidia drivers installed, only your Nvidia card.
Sadly enough, I came to the conclusion that that is the only solution.. (rhyme )
In windows is does work.... but I refuse to work with windows. I'll find another ATI or Nvidia video card.
Old 27th November 2011, 09:00 PM
higgy Offline

linuxfirefox

With Nvidia controlling a 30+ share of the market you would think resolving all these issues would be important to the fedora community The last three versions of Fedora have required much hoop jumping just to get the failed upgrade to work leaving many looking for a better distro. Personally I have used Redhat and then Fedora since the Mothers Day release but I'm about done.
Old 27th November 2011, 09:43 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

@higgy
There aren't any linux distros out there where you can switch on-the-fly from your ATI to your NVIDIA IGP card or the other way around without driver change and reboot.

So your only alternative is probably Windoze then? Or does it work in Mac or any other OS as well? (it surpises me that it even works in Windows)
Old 27th November 2011, 10:52 PM
higgy Offline

linuxfirefox

Actually in x64 either works outta the box for the most part..don't need to switch
It would just be nice to not have all the issues from one release to the next

Tags
ati nvidia 2cards