Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2011, 04:44 PM
morimando Offline

linuxfirefox
No playback in amarok/rhythmbox/totem since upgrade to Fedora 16

Hi there..
I used preupgrade to update my system from 15 to 16. It worked okay (had to uninstall caribou i686 and install x86_64 to be able to login) but I'm having problems now with media playback.
While flash (youtube for example) works and system sound as well, no media player is able to play anything. Totem isn't able to assess the nature of the stream when asked to play for example an mp3-file, amarok doesn't react at all to double clicks on music files, rhythmbox either skips through every song without making a sound or crashes, miro doesn't show video or play music...
I have installed rpmfusion and all the gstreamer-plugins as well as the phonon backend for amarok, but nothing works. I have officially reached the end of my Linux knowledge (which I don't think is too bad, I'm using Linux for quite some years now, started with Gentoo and have used quite a lot of distributions in between).
Please help me, up until preupgrade I quite enjoyed Fedora...

edit: oh and I also got the xine extra plugins installed.

Last edited by morimando; 6th December 2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling fix, title
Old 6th December 2011, 09:34 PM
madopal Offline

linuxchrome
Re: No playback in amarok/rhythmbox/totem since uograde to Fedora 16

Can you shut everything flash-related down and get audio? I've noticed that if I've got something with gstreamer running and my browser tries to play something flash, when the next track comes up, the gstreamer output hangs, and rhythmbox won't even exit cleanly.

Before when I had this problem, it was only when flash was playing in a browser, and then if I closed the browser, gstreamer was able to play, but now it seems to be blocked and dead until restarted.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:41 AM
morimando Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: No playback in amarok/rhythmbox/totem since uograde to Fedora 16

Yes, I tried not using any other audio source to check whether they were interfering.
A complete reinstall of Fedora "fixed" the problem. I do not know what the problem was, but I sure am not using preupgrade again...

Tags
fedora, playback, uograde