Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2011, 08:46 PM
isavedalex Offline

macossafari
Fedora Media Server Help

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I am desperate for help and didn't know where to write this!

I'm new to Linux so please excuse me if I miss something obvious.

I've recently installed Fedora 16 on my old Dell machine with the idea of it becoming our central media server (providing to 2 macs and a windows pc) The software i wanted to use is something called 'Plex Media Server' i have found and installed RPM's for Plex so that it now shows up in my services.

But one of the main requirements for Plex is Avahi, I have verified using Yum Update that I have the latest version of Avahi running but it is not showing in my services!

When I try and add it to my services it says that cannot find file or directory.

Further more the Fedora system shows up in the 'Finder Sidebar' in the Mac systems
But when i try to connect it asks me to check the connection as it's no longer available. (I did read somewhere that there was a problem with OSX lion connecting on afp but I've tested using a mac running OSX Snow Leopard and I'm having the same problem)

I've been franticly looking around the internet to solve this but don't know where to look next!

oh and I can connect via SSH in the command line, I have tried disabling the firewall and It is possible for me to connect to one of the Macs via the fedora system.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 6th December 2011, 09:13 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxredhatfirefox
Re: Fedora Media Server Help

To start avahi-daemon and then enable for next boot run:

Code:
systemctl start avahi-daemon.service
systemctl enable avahi-daemon.service

link to systemd cheatsheet http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVin...emd_Cheatsheet
Hope this helps,
Old 6th December 2011, 09:46 PM
isavedalex Offline

macossafari

Thank you for your quick reply.

I just started the service

but i'm still getting an error message saying the server may not exist or isn't available right now :/
Old 6th December 2011, 11:00 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

If I were in your position I'd try searching for the exact text of the error message, to see if anyone had run into it before. That output clearly indicates that Avahi really is running, so the problem isn't that you can't get Avahi running, but that Plex for some reason cannot tell that it is. It may be dumbly checking for the status of some specifically named service which does not match up with Fedora's systemd service for Avahi, or something like that.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 7th December 2011, 11:08 AM
isavedalex Offline

macossafari

Although my end goal is to get Plex to work right now i'm receiving that error message when i just try to connect to it through the finder on Mac OSX, i've tried searching the error message on multiple forums and on google but can't find a solution. right now i just want to be able to connect to it and share files and then I'll worry about Plex.

I'm also getting the same error message when i enable screen sharing on the fedora machine, I can see the remote screen sharing icon in the finder sidebar but when i click on share screen i get the same error message saying it's not available.
Old 7th December 2011, 10:31 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

It may be a firewall configuration issue, in that case. Try using system-config-firewall to unblock the port for 'Multicast DNS' (5353/udp).
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 7th December 2011, 10:33 PM
isavedalex Offline

macossafari

I've enabled Multicast DNS and also tried whilst disabling the firewall altogether, I've also tried using a fedora virtual machine on my mac to connect and it won't let me either!

Tags
fedora, media, server