Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th December 2011, 08:39 AM
blacknred Offline

windows_7ie
Question raid q

Hi,

I got RAID 1 on my machine.

Just checking my understanding to know what to expect... Could someone please confirm the below?

In the event of OS getting corrupted / fs issues or a partition going missing on one of the disks, it brings the system down (as the other disk will be a mirror of the corrupt copy for example) & so I still end up having to repair/reinstall OS ie there is no protection in those scenarios even though disks are mirrored., correct?

If a drive fails, the box will continue to be up & running because of RAID 1, right?

Thanks in advance

David
Old 7th December 2011, 08:59 AM
stevea Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: raid q

Yes - you are roughly correct. I assume you are talking about the Linux mdadm raid1.

If some rogue privileged program starts scribbling all over '/' through the normal filesys I/O calls - then you will have two copies of the scribbling and you have to repair or reinstall. If instead you have a bunch of sectors or the whole rive fail it should continue.

Yes RAID1 mirrors primarily are protection against a drive failure. It is NOT a backup ! It's normally two copies of the same thing (good or bad).
Old 7th December 2011, 09:14 AM
blacknred Offline

windows_7ie
Re: raid q

It's a hardware raid.
Thinking further this would be applicable if it is -say a slient corruption.
If your OS is totally knackered to the extent of unwritable, would the same be mirrored to the good disk? so effectively your dead in the water at that point?

Thanks

Tags
raid