Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th December 2011, 09:04 AM
mtbmikex9 Offline

linuxfirefox
Multiple fedora grub entries because Plymouth

Before you shrug off this thread as "some noob who doesn't search google" my problem is not that I have an older kernel install its the fact that I have 5 fedora entries in the grub menu with the same kernel and everything. See what happened was, I found out that I could change Plymouth boot themes and I started switching them in and out. I couldn't choose between the hot-dog theme (the mustard indicates progress) and the default so I ended up with 5 entries. I come to find out after searching google that their is a bug in which every time I used update-initrd it makes another grub entire. I use I searched around google some more on how to remove Grub entries but alas! I kept opening blank gedits. So woe is me walking in to the fedora forum seeking help form the gurus of Fedora. Please any advice is welcomed, a fix would be nice since I hate messy menus.

Also, would waiting for kernel 3.1.5-1 to exist upon my fine system be a fix? Since I could probably remove the old kernel, hence removing all 5 of its entries?
Old 9th December 2011, 04:42 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Multiple fedora grub entries because Plymouth

what version of Fedora are you running? It makes a big difference since F16 started using grub2 instead of the legacy grub that previous versions used.

If you are running F15 or lower with legacy grub, just edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file and remove the extra menu entries.

If you are running F16 with grub2, then you can just rebuild your grub.cfg file

Code:
su -
(root password)
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
Old 9th December 2011, 06:03 PM
Skull One Offline

linuxredhatmozilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmikex9 View Post
Before you shrug off this thread as "some noob who doesn't search google" my problem is not that I have an older kernel install its the fact that I have 5 fedora entries in the grub menu with the same kernel and everything. See what happened was, I found out that I could change Plymouth boot themes and I started switching them in and out. I couldn't choose between the hot-dog theme (the mustard indicates progress) and the default so I ended up with 5 entries. I come to find out after searching google that their is a bug in which every time I used update-initrd it makes another grub entire. I use I searched around google some more on how to remove Grub entries but alas! I kept opening blank gedits. So woe is me walking in to the fedora forum seeking help form the gurus of Fedora. Please any advice is welcomed, a fix would be nice since I hate messy menus.

Also, would waiting for kernel 3.1.5-1 to exist upon my fine system be a fix? Since I could probably remove the old kernel, hence removing all 5 of its entries?
What is that 'update-initrd'???
To change your plymouth theme, you just have to run
Code:
plymouth-set-default-theme  <theme-name>  --rebuild-initrd
Furthermore, you never have to update grub for this.
Old 9th December 2011, 08:00 PM
mtbmikex9 Offline

linuxfirefox

Can't believe I left out the helpful details I'm runnin fedora 16.
Old 10th December 2011, 10:40 AM
viking777 Offline

linuxfirefox

I have this problem as well on Fed 16. I used the command

Code:
plymouth-set-default-theme  <theme-name>  --rebuild-initrd
twice, and it resulted in three entries for my old kernel.

The good news is that when you get a kernel upgrade it seems to adopt the theme that you settled on in the earlier version so you don't have to run the command again, so you don't get multiple entries.

I have seen many forum replies suggesting that it is possible to edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg directly, and indeed it is (although you may have to make it writeable first) but every time I have done that my entire grub menu disappears with the exception of Windows (which I never boot anyway!) so I wouldn't try that unless you have a backup copy of grub.cfg as well as some other way of running linux in order to change the file back again (live cd/usb). I should add that I am well used to editing grub.cfg in other distros and the 'disappearing menu' trick is not finger trouble, I have done it successfully many times before.

I even tried installing the excellent 'grub-customizer' from source, but that was a complete disaster - don't go there!

Personally I will just wait for a new kernel and then remove the old one and the problem has gone away.
Old 10th December 2011, 11:34 AM
Skull One Offline

linuxredhatmozilla

I looked at the scripts: in the end, grubby is launched and add the new entry. Sounds like a bug for me.
You don't have to wait for a new kernel, just rebuild the grub2 configuration file (DBelton has written the command in comment#2).
Old 10th December 2011, 11:48 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

This thread has me interested in changing my boot theme. As such, here's what I've done, as root.
PHP Code:
yum install plymouth-theme*
plymouth-set-default-theme solar --rebuild-initrd
reboot 
It worked as expected. I have no multiple menu entries and the theme works. Thought I'd add my 2 cents just for the record. Later, when I have time, I'll experiment with the other themes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 10th December 2011, 11:57 AM
Skull One Offline

linuxredhatmozilla

Good!
Just forget my last comment! I have not checked/tested very carefully, my bad...
Old 10th December 2011, 12:21 PM
viking777 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull One View Post
I looked at the scripts: in the end, grubby is launched and add the new entry. Sounds like a bug for me.
You don't have to wait for a new kernel, just rebuild the grub2 configuration file (DBelton has written the command in comment#2).
Thanks for that, it kinda worked and kinda didn't.

It replaced the 4 entries I had before sure enough, but I still have 4 entries because it now includes 'recovery' entries which I don't want. Still it is better than it was before I suppose, at least I don't have 3 entries for the same kernel only 2.

I can't remember how I got rid of the recovery entries initially but I managed it somehow. I tried:

Code:
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
In /etc/default/grub followed by grub2-mkconfig again but that didn't work.

Anyway it is not a big deal, I will just have to live with it.

thanks for your help
Old 10th December 2011, 12:27 PM
Skull One Offline

linuxredhatmozilla

In my /etc/default/grub, I have:
Code:
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true
and it disables the recovery entry.
It's weird that it does not work for you... may be it is the quotes?
Old 10th December 2011, 01:09 PM
viking777 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull One View Post
In my /etc/default/grub, I have:
Code:
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true
and it disables the recovery entry.
It's weird that it does not work for you... may be it is the quotes?
That is a good thought, but not the answer. With or without quotes the recovery entries are still there.

Don't worry about it, it doesn't matter that much to me, though it is strange that it works for you and not me.
Old 10th December 2011, 02:01 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003chrome

GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true" works on my F16 system also.

Use grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg as DBelton pointed out above.

As an addendum to why the plymouth theme worked for me, man plymouth points out
Quote:
In order for the configured default plymouth theme to be loaded during
boot, the option `splash' (or `rhgb' for backward compatibility with the
RHGB boot splash) must be provided at the kernel command line. With this
command line option, plymouth will default to showing detailed boot output.
Just wondering if the OP was aware.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 10th December 2011, 03:26 PM
viking777 Offline

linuxfirefox

Confession time.

Code:
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
Does work - if you spell it right
Old 10th December 2011, 03:50 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

It's a real pita the way you configure grub2, and makes it very easy to make a lot of typing errors

I have also noticed a few minor differences in what some of the documentation online tells you, and what you actually have to put into your /etc/default/grub file, like the recovery option.. A lot of the online docs tell you to use GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY when it really is GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY. or partition labelling has changed from what a lot tell you to use for example, they tell you (hd0,1) and it has changed to (hd0,msdos1) or (hd0,gpt1)

However, you CAN manually edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg (no matter what the comments in the file tell you) and make changes, BUT you must be aware that any manual edits you make WILL be over written if you ever run grub2-mkconfig.
Old 10th December 2011, 08:14 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Well well well, seems I'm jumping on the bandwagon with the OP. After having great success changing my boot theme once, the second attempt has caused my system to not be able to reach the desktop login. It boots and displays the theme, which I've changed to spinfinity. At the point where it appears to try to display the login prompt there is a slight discrepancy in the screen and the rotating cursor appears but there it sits. I left it this morning and went to work. Came home over 4 hours later and it was still where I left it, cursor spinning away. I've tried to boot 5 or 6 times since to no avail. Note that there are also now three identical menu entries. where there was only one. Not sure if the second one appeared after the first theme change. Booting from any of them results in the same behavior.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
entries, fedora, grub, multiple, plymouth