Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th December 2011, 02:25 AM
crokett Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora 16 Laptop Suspend Problem

I have Fedora 16 on a Lenovo W500 laptop. When I close the lid the laptop no longer suspends - it did until I did several system updates a few days ago. I can suspend it using the Function keys or clicking 'Suspend' from the menu. In Gnome Tweak Tool the Suspend when lid closed actions are enabled. I tried changing the options to something and then back to suspend to see if that changed anything, but it did not. If I open the lid after it was suspended, that still works normally.

What else can I check?
Old 10th December 2011, 01:31 PM
undertoad Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 16 Laptop Suspend Problem

try booting an earlier kernel
Old 11th December 2011, 01:31 AM
crokett Offline

linuxfirefox

Hmm.. that did not occur to me. I will try that. It looks like the kernel did get updated. thanks.
Old 11th December 2011, 02:25 PM
crokett Offline

linuxfirefox

Ok, that worked. currently running the 3.1.1.1 kernel and it works fine. in 3.1.1.2 kernel the suspend when the lid is closed doesn't work. Should I raise a bug? If so what is the best place to report it? Is there something I can do to make it work in the newer kernel?
Old 12th December 2011, 02:45 AM
JohnAbleDoe Offline

linuxfirefox

Here is a link (http://ask.fedoraproject.org/questio...top-is-plugged) do disable suspend, however, for some reason this is not working for me either. I am certain this issue will be resolved. Please also keep in mind that the interrupt generated from the hardware may not be the same on all laptops. I had this issue with FC15 and one day when I put maintenance on, all was well. I have a Lenovo Z570 runing FC16 and access my laptop remotely using Freenx; I simply leave my lid open. and turn the display off using Fn+F2.
Old 12th December 2011, 10:44 AM
undertoad Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi Crockett, good work. knowing a kernel update caused the problem should help you a lot.

Raise a bug, there is info here http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs_and_feature_requests

Looking at other lid problems here, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist....earch=acpi+lid
You could try to see if the lid close is being reported
Code:
su
yum install acpid
acpid -d -l
# close the lid
# my laptop reports bla bla bla and then
acpid: received input layer event "button/lid LID close"
Alternatively, if you have another machine, ssh into your laptop while the lid is closed and do
cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state

Not much else. If you're feeling really adventurous try compiling vanilla kernel 3.1.5, if the problem reproduces then try to set up a git bisect by finding an earlier kernel that is ok (e.g. 3.1.1). I don't know how to bisect on fedora kernels. Good luck.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:07 PM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera

I have not had the opportunity to install F16 yet, but I found out in Arch that acpi events are reported differently now for Lenovo. This is likely the problem.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129086
Old 23rd December 2011, 04:15 PM
Conf Comp User Offline

linuxfirefox
Lightbulb Re: Fedora 16 Laptop Suspend Problem

I have a ThinkPad Edge 15 and the same thing happens.

Closing the lid does not suspend the computer. Manualy doing the suspend command via the menu trigers suspend but it's slow (almost 10-20 seconds to suspend). The setup I have has LVM and encryption enabeled so I'm not sure that this plays a role.

Opening the lid works perfectly and I know that I checked a while back if closing the lid sends a signal and inded it did. So not sure where the issue is.

Also for some reason the laptop no longer detects when the power cord is pluged in. It sees it as unpluged all the time.

NOTE: The Folowing fixes the issue for me. This lasts about a week depending on how I keep it pluged in.
-Pull out the powercord and batery
-Hold down the power button for 20-30 seconds.
-Put the batery back in (leave the power cord out)
-Start the computer
-Load the system then close the lid.
-After 10-20 seconds the computer suspends

Pluging-in the power cord now will work and closing the lid with the power cord in will work as well. After a while it stops working again. I don't know why this is happening.

EDIT:
I forgot to ask, can someone conffirm if besides the suspend issue, their media keys stop working as well. Mine are overlapped with the function keys. So where F2 is supposed to be I have the Lower Volume key.
To hit F2 I need a key combo so: Fn + F2.
Now when suspend works the keys work.
When suspend on lid close stops working so do the media keys. HOWEVER, the function keys contine to work. So I can use Alt+F2 (in my case Alt+Fn+F2) and I get the comand prompt.
Is anyone else seeing this as well?

Last edited by Conf Comp User; 26th December 2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Forgot a question
Old 28th December 2011, 12:44 AM
Conf Comp User Offline

linuxfirefox

HI,

After many web searches I came across a forum that confirmed the solution I had found regarding how to fix the suspend issue and gave a reason for why it happens.

Apparently the problem is BIOS related and affects several Thinkpad models

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad.../323077/page/6

Unfortunetly this means there is nothing to do from the operating system. Thinkpad has to post a permanent solution which has yet to happen.
Also, if you read the post in the thread you will se that the problem exists under Windows as well as other Linux distributions.

Cheers
Old 14th February 2012, 05:14 PM
ccornchip Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi, (is 3 months considered a dead thread?)

How do I
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertoad View Post
try booting an earlier kernel
I'm having the same problem. Everything was working fine with the live USB that I installed from, but I installed to disk, updated, and now f16 refuses to wake up from "Suspend" mode. Irrespective of whether I suspended by closing the lid, or going top-right menu -> Suspend.

When I attempt to wake up, I get the top panel, but a black screen. Have to hard-restart, and then fedora seems to go into and then back out of suspend when I log back in.
Bizzare.

I'm also having issues with my wireless internet card, which was working fine from the f16 liveUSB, but that's for a different thread.

Chris.

Tags
fedora, laptop, problem, suspend