Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th December 2011, 05:51 PM
merilius Offline

linuxfirefox
Arrow did anyone try F14 --> F16 with YUM ?

I have been upgrading Fedora on my server since version FC1, long before preupgrade existed. Currently I am running F14 and as it is soon getting out of support I want to migrate to F16.

My system is a running server and I want to minimize downtime, therefore I prefer not to use preupgrade. (and preupgrade does not give me actuall control what is being installed and removed). I also have /boot located on a software RAID partition - it used cause problems with Anaconda, at least previously.

Up to now upgrades with yum were easy. However, there were some major changes between F14 and F16, like upstart vs systemd, grub vs grub2, new kernel-tools, etc. Did anyone try to upgrade this way, and was it successful?

PS. I have read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrad...dora_using_yum

Last edited by merilius; 11th December 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11th December 2011, 07:21 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: did anyone try F14 --> F16 with YUM ?

Well it's already not supported to go from F14 to F15, or F15 to F16, let alone F14 to F16. I think that's what preupgrade is for.

I'd make sure you can boot from a LiveCD first, backup everything, and then start from scratch (either LiveCD install, or download the DVD).
Old 14th December 2011, 10:48 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

I haven't migrated my servers to 16 yet, but I bumped them from 14 to 15 using yum and it mostly worked fine.

Going from 15 to 16 you may find some services get disabled and you have to re-enable them with 'systemctl enable foobar.service' .

It may be an idea to go from 14 to 15 first, clean up, make sure stuff is working, then go to 16.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 14th December 2011, 10:52 PM
tox

windows_7firefox

much better to download the DvD IMO
Old 16th December 2011, 05:38 PM
Farrow Offline

macosfirefox

I did and 5 days later I am still trying to get my system back up. I would download the dvd and go that way. The main problem I had was that it didn't upgrade the raid so I couldn't mount the disks. Got over that problem and now I am trying to get all my services to run under systemd structure
Old 16th December 2011, 05:39 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxchrome

I have had the same exprerience as Farrow with upgrades. Would definitely recommend fresh install!
Old 16th December 2011, 06:16 PM
RHamel Offline

linuxfirefox

I upgraded from F15 to F16 using YUM. There were one or two minors hiccups, but in generally worked OK.
Old 17th December 2011, 03:44 AM
07CobaltGirl Offline

linuxfirefox

F14 -> F16 did not work via YUM for me. Errors out the wazoo and ultimately failed to update. Ended up wiping and doing a LiveCD install of F16.
Old 17th December 2011, 10:51 AM
merilius Offline

solarisseamonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrow View Post
I did and 5 days later I am still trying to get my system back up. I would download the dvd and go that way. The main problem I had was that it didn't upgrade the raid so I couldn't mount the disks. Got over that problem and now I am trying to get all my services to run under systemd structure
Was it software raid, is your /boot on such a drive? And do I understand correctly, that you did F14->F16 without an intermediate F15 step?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CobaltGirl View Post
F14 -> F16 did not work via YUM for me. Errors out the wazoo and ultimately failed to update. Ended up wiping and doing a LiveCD install of F16.
Errors after an upgrade, during an upgrade, or even at the RPM dependency checks before?
Old 18th December 2011, 08:30 AM
07CobaltGirl Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilius View Post

Errors after an upgrade, during an upgrade, or even at the RPM dependency checks before?
I skipped over trying F15 completely.(I know, don't do that) Some errors with dependency checks. Finally got it worked out enough to ask for a reboot and then it could not find /boot. I didn't try after that. LiveCD didn't take long to download and burn, and it worked pretty much flawlessly (until I tried to update and get nVidia installed, which is another story).

EDIT: I should add I did the preupgrade from 13 -> 14, and things were never quite right with that install, which could have caused all the trouble to begin with. It ran pretty well after a few fixes, but still had issues the whole year.

Last edited by 07CobaltGirl; 18th December 2011 at 08:34 AM.

Tags
>, f14, f16, upgrade, yum