Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 19th November 2004, 05:53 AM
EvolutionR Offline

Thumbs up Welcome to My Own Installation Nvidia Guide

Welcome to My Own Installation Nvidia Guide :Pengy: :study:

I've finally got an answer to most of the Nvidia Driver installation Problems! Eg. GLX Missing...etc

Tested on Fedora Core 3! Yahoo!!!

Follow the Steps

1) a) Edit your "/etc/inittab" =>

Change the id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault .

b) Edit your "/etc/X11/Xorg.conf" => Look for the Driver "nv" change it to Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have: Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:
Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

*Please save the following files*
*Reboot System*

2) Text Mode-Login screen. Login as root.
Change to the directory, where's the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run file located.
Type sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run .

3) No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel from the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: No)

4) No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; this means that the installer will need to compile a new kernel interface. (Answer: OK)

5) WARNING: Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support as a loadable kernel module.
The rivafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA driver; the NVIDIA kernel module will still be built and installed, but be aware that the NVIDIA driver will not be able to function properly if the rivafb module is loaded! (Answer: OK)

6) Wait for the Nvidia to finish the installation!

At the Text-Mode Login Screen.

a) Type modprobe nvidia.
b) Type cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
c) Type chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
d) Type reboot

7) At the Text-Mode Login Screen.

a) Type init 5

8) Edit the /etc/inittab => id:3:initdefault to id:5:initdefault

9) Test Run 3D Games= *Run tuxracer* *Screensaver (3D)*

10) Finished! Thank You

Last edited by EvolutionR; 19th November 2004 at 05:58 AM.
Old 23rd December 2004, 12:50 PM
BLiX Offline

Nice one
Old 23rd December 2004, 01:53 PM
yanik Offline

Can I comment you guide and help you make it better? Open a terminal and type telinit 3, then ctrl-alt-f1 to go to the first terminal. Then install the driver. Modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf, Then type

Type cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices && chown root: /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

and finally type telinit 5.

See, you don't need to touch /etc/inittab, and you mostly don't need to reboot 2 times to install the driver. You first stop the X server, modify it's configuration and install the driver, then start the X server with the new config.

How's that? It could make your guide a lot shorter and simplier.

Yanik
Old 23rd December 2004, 04:27 PM
piedamaro Offline

You alsao need something like this:
nvidia*:root:video:0660

in your /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions file, then add yorself to the video group, to fix permissions on startup.
Finally you have to put /usr/lib before /usr/X11R6/lib in your /etc/ld.so.conf file then run ldconfig.
Without that, my GL applications used the software gl libs under /usr/X11R6/lib instead of the accelerated ones from nvidia under /usr/lib.

Hope this helps
Old 23rd December 2004, 04:33 PM
yanik Offline

those steps weren't necessary on my system piedamaro. I don't use 3d so I didn't test if it was using soft or hardware libs. But I do remember having the standard 3000 fps result in glxgears tho....
Old 23rd December 2004, 04:50 PM
piedamaro Offline

If you try to run real random game (neverball, ut2k4), not glxgears, the will complain about insufficent device permissions, and some of them, will link against slow software X11 GL libs at startup.

It can be that with some recent udev upgrade, device permissions are fixed, but I'm almost sure you'll have the LIBRARY_PATH problem with some game.

It doesn't hurt to leave those steps there in case someone had the same issue
Old 23rd December 2004, 06:32 PM
imdeemvp Offline

Welcome to my only step I took :D

1. Very good job.
2. In fc3 I have all my repos setup. Livna, freshrpm, atrmp, dag and here is how I did the repos. I installed my nvidia drivers via yum by issuing this yum command (as root):
Code:
yum install nvidia-glx kernel-module-nvidia-`(uname -r)`
It took care of everything for me and here is the proof:
Quote:
[imdeemvp@myfc3 ~]$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes
[imdeemvp@myfc3 ~]$ glxgears
16146 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3229.200 FPS <<-before i minimized the window
35250 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7050.000 FPS
35444 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7088.800 FPS
35290 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7058.000 FPS
35372 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7074.400 FPS
35315 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7063.000 FPS
34565 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6913.000 FPS
35340 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7068.000 FPS
35359 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7071.800 FPS
35324 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7064.800 FPS
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
This was the easiest way for me to install nvidia drivers in long time. I check my xorg.conf and did not have to edit anything. Dont ask me why. The instructions to install nvidia driver is posted the fedora FAQ. This was probably the easiest thing I have done in fc3.

YOU MAY WANT TO REBOOT!

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D

Last edited by imdeemvp; 5th January 2005 at 01:06 AM.
Old 26th December 2004, 08:34 PM
frontwards Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedamaro
You alsao need something like this:
nvidia*:root:video:0660

in your /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions file, then add yorself to the video group, to fix permissions on startup.
Finally you have to put /usr/lib before /usr/X11R6/lib in your /etc/ld.so.conf file then run ldconfig.
Without that, my GL applications used the software gl libs under /usr/X11R6/lib instead of the accelerated ones from nvidia under /usr/lib.

Hope this helps
how do you add yourself to the video group?
Old 28th December 2004, 07:38 AM
aki Offline

I am having a problem with glx here. It wouldn't show missing glx on my machine. It didn't used to be that way.. but it happened that way at some point in time. I also noticed that I do not get the Nvidia splash screen on startup now.

This is is the mssg I get when I try to run glxgears:

[agarwal@localhost agarwal]$ glxgears
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

Any suggestions. Thanks.

(running Fedora core 2)
Old 28th December 2004, 06:31 PM
lvanek Offline

Thank you EvolutionR.

I just finished an upgrade from FC2 to FC3. All went well (after getting by the mediacheck fun & games) except for getting the nvidia kernel module to initalize. Running the modprobe after running the nvidia installer (before rebooting) is what I had not needed to do for FC2. /sbin/lsmod showed the module loaded. Followed your cp -a /dev/nvidia* to /etc/udev/devices suggested & it worked like a charm. Didnt need to change any ownership though.
Old 6th January 2005, 03:00 PM
veritas Offline

Help!

I don't know why I try these things. I will ALWAYS get some error not expected by the people who make such posts. I am new to LInux, and now I am stuck.

Specifically, I made the initial changes in Xorg and the inittab without really knowing what that was about. Then I rebooted, got into the text mode, logged in and began to install the NVIDIA driver. I got the first few messages that were anticipated but then it said that I didn't have the right cc tools, that either GCC was not installed or not in my path. Well, I don't know what that means, but I assure you, if GCC was on my system, freshly installed as of two days ago, I didn't remove it.

So, I didn't panic. I don't know enough to do much from the text mode, so I figured the init 3 and init 5 commands must be how you get back into the X desktop. So I typed init 5 and got...anyone? anyone? Yes! ANOTHER error message. This one said my (I think it was Xorg as that is the only one I messed with) was not configured correctly. So it won't let me into a graphical interface and I have a lovely black screen now.

Before someone helps, I should tell you that I don't even know how to open a file and edit text while in text mode. In other words, with the GUI I could type gedit and the filename and open it in a graphical editor and all is well. I don't know how to even do this in text mode, so please be VERY basic for me. I really don't want to have to reinstall AGAIN....I should never have attempted this, but I wanted my pretty screensavers to move a little more fluidly. Sigh. Please help!!!!!
Old 6th January 2005, 03:48 PM
veritas Offline

Nevermind!!!!

Actually, I'm pretty proud of my newbie self. It occurred to me that if GCC is not on my system, going to get it is something I could figure out how to do even in text mode, so apt-getting I did go and downloaded and installed GCC. Now, why it wasn't on there in the first place, I don't know...and perhaps this explains when I was trying to follow some instructions for making my soundcard work "modprobe" came back as invalid command. Evidently GCC is not being included with at least some of the FC3 installation disks. Seems like if it were this important it would be included, but by installing it, everything worked fine and I had my first session of tuxracer. Not really HalfLife 2, but hey, it looked great!

Tags
guide, installation, nvidia