Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th December 2011, 05:56 PM
tuxor Offline

linuxfirefox
akmod rpm: problems with "version magic"

I built an akmod-package following these instructions: http://rpmfusion.org/Packaging/KernelModules/Kmods2

Everything works fine, except for the fact, that the new kmod is built each time a new kernel has been installed - and that means directly after "yum update" finished and not on next reboot after installation. So the new modules are corrupt and won't load due to "version magic" (at least, that's the dmesg output). If I reboot, uninstall the "kmod-*"-package and run "akmods" I'm getting a working kmod build.

I *think*, the problem is this file:
Code:
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/akmods
Inside this script, it's running:
Code:
nohup /usr/sbin/akmods --from-kernel-posttrans --kernels ${1} &> /dev/null &
How can I configure my RPM (spec file) so that this file won't be created, so that the new kmod is only built on boottime (the script responsible for that is: /etc/rc.d/init.d/akmods)?

Last edited by tuxor; 14th December 2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 17th December 2011, 09:30 AM
tuxor Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: akmod rpm: problems with "version magic"

When I simply comment out the lines in /etc/kernel/postinst.d/akmods I run into another problem:

The akmod-modules will be built on next boot time, but after "fedora-modules-load.service" has started. That means, they will be built, but not loaded, since they are built "to late" during boot.

No idea what I could do about any of these problems?
Old 24th December 2011, 02:50 PM
tuxor Offline

linuxfirefox

No ideas how I could bring some order into this chaos?
Old 24th December 2011, 07:28 PM
vallimar Online

windows_xp_2003chrome

I'm not familiar with akmods (prefer dkms), but you should only need to add the following bit
to the top of the .spec file that is building the kmod:
Code:
%define buildforkernels newest
That define can have 3 values, but newest is what you want and make sure that it is only
being defined once. That is where I would start, though if that isn't the problem then
maybe someone else knows more.

Tags
akmod, problems, rpm, version magic