Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th December 2011, 03:47 AM
wethegreenpeopl Offline

macoschrome
Boot loader doesn't install?

Hey guys! Please excuse me if this questions has been asked before, I couldn't seem to find it posted any where else...

I'm trying to install/dualboot fedora with OSX, I've given Fedora 100gb space (I was told this should be good enough?) but the problem is, when I get to the end of the installer, it always tells me "The bootloader failed to install. Your system may not boot". Doing a little bit of searching I found this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...61&postcount=3

But I'm a little confused on how I should go about doing this? Or is there something else I can do?

And I don't know if it matters but I'm also using rEFIt
Old 15th December 2011, 04:20 AM
David Batson Online

linuxopera
Re: Boot loader doesn't install?

READ THIS FIRST!
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common...labelled_disks

That said, here is my experience with Grub2 and Arch Linux on a Windows 7 machine.

I don't know about OSX, but I was able to install Grub2 with Arch Linux on a Windows 7 machine using the traditional BIOS (MBR) boot.

I did have a problem one time with too many primary partitions. Generally speaking you can only have 4. I had 2 primary partitions that were created with the Windows 7 install and another primary recovery partition making 3 altogether. I had to take the remaining space and create an Extended Partition (the 4th primary partition) in it with several logical drives - and installed a different distro on each one.

I also had a problem installing Grub2 from the Arch installation CD because it would not create the proper partition type for Arch. Running fdisk -l showed the partition as FAT16 instead of Linux. I ended up creating and formatting the partition while booted into Mageia, using MCC, then I installed Arch and Grub2 successfully.

When you install Grub2, you probably want to install it to the MBR (I imagine this is true with OSX as well as Windows).
Old 16th December 2011, 02:01 AM
wethegreenpeopl Offline

macoschrome
Re: Boot loader doesn't install?

So I should install Grub separately? I don't quite get what you're saying..

Tags
boot, install, loader