Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th December 2011, 04:57 PM
danespen Offline

linuxfirefox
FC16 runlevel 3 pulseaudio

Iīve just installed FC16. Iīm running at runlevel 3.

I used to use ck-xinit-session in my .xinitrc to get pulseaudio started. Now it wonīt start. If I try to start it from the command line it comes back with the message Killed. I can post the output if needed. I didnīt see much in it that made sense.
Old 16th December 2011, 05:28 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: FC16 runlevel 3 pulseaudio

I haven't had that trouble since F10 or so. First, I would try doing something as sudo to see if it's a permissions problem. It might be something like the user not being member of audio or something like that.
Old 16th December 2011, 05:49 PM
danespen Offline

linuxfirefox

When you start pulseaudio as root, you need to use the system option. pulseaudio complains that it should not run that way so I didnīt see how far that would get me.

I added a user and changed to run level 5. pulseaudio started that way and worked.

For some reason I wasnt able to use runlevel 5 for myself and I really like to use runlevel 3 if possible.

I am a member of the audio group.

Last edited by danespen; 16th December 2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: more info
Old 16th December 2011, 06:21 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

I just meant that at times, if I run, say, mplayer <file> and get no sound, I then try sudo mplayer <file> and it works.

Then, I know I have some permissions issue.

Pulseaudio has been relatively trouble free for me, even in console, for awhile. However, this time around, that is F16, I had to remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio or whatever it's called. I usually do a minimal install, then add X and other things later. Not sure if there's some GUI startup script that does something, it's certainly possible.
Old 16th December 2011, 06:29 PM
danespen Offline

linuxfirefox

I donīt see how player permissions come into it.
This is a case of pulseaudio not starting at all and when I try to start it from the command line, it prints the word Killed and stops. Using ps I canīt see it running.
Old 16th December 2011, 08:25 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Sorry, misunderstood the question.

In that case, I don't know. What I can tell you is that for me, in the console, doing yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio made sound work for me. I'm afraid I can't be of more help than that, but there's a lot of pulseaudio experts on these forums, and hopefully one can help.
Old 17th December 2011, 04:01 AM
danespen Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Sorry, misunderstood the question.

In that case, I don't know. What I can tell you is that for me, in the console, doing yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio made sound work for me. I'm afraid I can't be of more help than that, but there's a lot of pulseaudio experts on these forums, and hopefully one can help.
Just tried it, no difference.

I found the script:

start-pulseaudio-x11

Didn't help either and that's not surprising since the first thing it tries to do is bring up pulseaudio just like I'm trying to do.

I see xdg has pulseaudio listed in it's autostart folder. Not sure what I need to do to start xdg.

Also dbus has something relating to pulseaudio. Not sure how to start that either. As I said in my first post I used to start pulseaudio with ck-xinit-session. Looks like they've moved it somewhere else but I'm not sure where.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Here's some more info:

I just ran a test like this:

home> pulseaudio -v --log-target=stderr >/tmp/std 2>&1
Killed

All the stderr/stdout went to /tmp/std except the word Killed.
I notice when I use kill -9 on a process from another terminal, the word "Killed" prints on the terminal where the process is running. I'm not sure but I think something else on my system is sending a kill signal to pulseaudio? I have selinux disabled.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Problem solved.

As I said above, I've been using ck-xinit-session to start pulseaudio.

I took ck-xinit-session out of my .xinitrc file and replaced it with:

pulseaudio --start

Sound is now working.

Tags
fc16, pulseaudio, runlevel