Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th December 2011, 11:44 PM
elesbb Offline

windows_7ie
Netbook resolution problem

Plain and simple i cannot change to anything other than 800x600 and i know it can go to 1024x768 but when clicking "Display" the only resolution which shows up is 800x600 . btw im using Fedora XFCE 16
Old 18th December 2011, 12:22 AM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox
Re: Netbook resolution problem

There have been a couple of recent "netbook - display resolution" threads posted. I don't own a netbook, but I would be curious as to what the xrandr command returns on your netbook. xrandr will (supposedly, and it works on my desktop and laptop machines) show you all the hardware legitimate resolutions and their refresh rates that you can use.
Old 18th December 2011, 12:43 AM
elesbb Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
There have been a couple of recent "netbook - display resolution" threads posted. I don't own a netbook, but I would be curious as to what the xrandr command returns on your netbook. xrandr will (supposedly, and it works on my desktop and laptop machines) show you all the hardware legitimate resolutions and their refresh rates that you can use.
Code:
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 800x600, current 800x600, maximum 800x600
default connected 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
         800x600                  61.0*
this isnt a surprise since going into "Settings -> Display" returns only one value for resolution which is 800 x 600 . im guessing its missing some sort of driver ?
Old 18th December 2011, 01:03 AM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxfirefox

Yeah, no surprise here either. xrandr on my XFCE desktop machine also reflects the resolutions I see available through Applications > Settings > Display. I was just wondering if it might show something that "Display" wasn't showing on your netbook setup.
Old 18th December 2011, 01:39 AM
elesbb Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Yeah, no surprise here either. xrandr on my XFCE desktop machine also reflects the resolutions I see available through Applications > Settings > Display. I was just wondering if it might show something that "Display" wasn't showing on your netbook setup.
you dont have a solution for me do ya ? lol
Old 18th December 2011, 01:47 AM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxfirefox

No, but if I did... I would have offered it already. Maybe trade in your netbook for a lightweight laptop?
But you're probably right about it just missing an appropriate or fully functional "driver" for whatever video chip that netbook is using. Or maybe the display isn't offering any EDID info to inform the system what it's capabilities are. I dunno. I would have no clue about that. Good luck with it nonetheless.
Old 18th December 2011, 02:18 AM
elesbb Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
No, but if I did... I would have offered it already. Maybe trade in your netbook for a lightweight laptop?
But you're probably right about it just missing an appropriate or fully functional "driver" for whatever video chip that netbook is using. Or maybe the display isn't offering any EDID info to inform the system what it's capabilities are. I dunno. I would have no clue about that. Good luck with it nonetheless.
yeah the netbook was free from my school , i should have chosen the laptop but i already had a laptop and wanted something nice and small and compact (my laptop has a 17.3" display xP) so its nice having the tiny netbook . just wish windows ran better on it . this being why i switched to linux . now i hope it is just a driver or kernel error . im pretty sure it is cause i dont remember it being like this on other builds (KDE ubuntu) but after much playing with VM xfce is my fav
Old 20th December 2011, 02:31 AM
elesbb Offline

linuxchrome

anybody have any clue or can point me in the right direction ?
Old 20th December 2011, 02:39 AM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
....but after much playing with VM xfce is my fav
Ummm.... just what does that mean? Do you have Fedora installed as a guest in a VM on the netbook?
If so, maybe your problem is a VM setting problem, not allowing the guest OS to fully "see" the video hardware.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:10 AM
elesbb Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Ummm.... just what does that mean? Do you have Fedora installed as a guest in a VM on the netbook?
If so, maybe your problem is a VM setting problem, not allowing the guest OS to fully "see" the video hardware.
no no , on my laptop i have VirtualBox installed . and before i installed any linux build onto my netbook i used VM to set up "low specs" on my laptop and ran different versions of linux to determine which build i liked best .
Old 24th December 2011, 05:45 PM
rinjo Offline

linuxfirefox

I am not very sure if this will help you solve your problem, but you can give it a try anyway.

From your previous post it looks like you are using F16 on your netbook.
Normally the display settings are present in xorg.conf file under /etc/X11/, but with F16 this is not a default feature as X server configurations are determined each time X is started.
In your case since X server is not providing you the resolution of 1024x768 you can try creating an xorg.conf file using the command
Code:
Xorg :1 -configure
This will create a default file under /root/xorg.conf.new. You can copy this file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
After copying you can make changes to the "modes" parameter under "Screen" section and add the resolution you want.

I hope this helps you resolve the issue. Using xrandr was another option, but from the other posts I can see that its not working out in your case.

Good luck!

Tags
netbook, problem, resolution