Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th January 2012, 10:46 PM
jvpgomes Offline

linuxfirefox
spin down configurations in dconf in Fedora 16

Since I updated to Fedora 16 I cannot find the hard drive spin down configurations in dconf.
Am I missing something? Or did these options simply disappeared?
Is there any alternative?

Thank you for your help!
Old 5th January 2012, 12:12 AM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox
Re: spin down configurations in dconf in Fedora 16

When was booting F12 on a system with 3 hdd's, I added a command to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to spin down two of the drives after 3 minutes of no activity on those drives. I worked fine, though one of the two drives was sort of "hit or miss" to respond to that command issued. Booting from and running F12 from /dev/sdb, the command I used was:

hdparm -S 36 /dev/sda /dev/sdc 2&>/dev/null

F16 doesn't have a /etc/rc.local or /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, but you can create one yourself. It's just a standard bash script file. As long as the systemd rc-local.service is activated and runs at boot, your rc.local file should get processed. Use whatever hdparm command(s) are appropriate for you're purposes.

On F16, you don't really need the "2&>/dev/null" bit on the tail of the hdparm command. That is there in F12 to keep the stdout text from the hdparm execution from showing in the boot.log file.
Old 5th January 2012, 06:11 PM
jvpgomes Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you for your help. It works well.
The only (minor) problem is that these configurations are made for specific drives. It would be nice to apply these settings generally for every drive. I usually plug usb drives and I would like them to spin down quite often to save the battery of the laptop.
Anyway, this will help me.

I just cannot see the advantage of removing these options from power management configuration GUI first and then from dconf.

I understand that they are trying to simplify gnome. However, removing features that are still widely used results in a more confusing experience.
Old 5th January 2012, 06:53 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxsafari

I believe the absence is a bug (my upgraded 15 still has the value but doesn't honour it and at my fresh install it is mia like with you).

Tags
configurations, dconf, fedora, spin