Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th January 2012, 04:17 PM
leejin Offline

macossafari
Question Fedora on Thinkpad T60 with 60GB SSD error

Greetings,

i've installed today on my Thinkpad T60 a new SSD from OCZ (60GB). After I installed the ssd, i fired up the notebook and booted Fedora 16 from usb pen.

I've selected during the installation process to use the full SSD space for installation (so no fancy partitions...).

The installation was quick and smooth. But after rebooting I received the following error message:

Loading Linux 3.1.0-7.fc16.i686
Loading initial ramdisk...
mount: special device /dev/disk/by-uuid/.... does not exist
umount: /sysroot: not mounted
device node not found
e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/disk/by-uuid...
dracut Warning: e2fsck returned with 8
dracut Warning: Possibly non-existent device?

....that's weird - during installation the ssd was detected and formatted ...when booting also grub is there ...what mistake have I done ?

Thanks in advance for any hints

Leejin
Old 6th May 2012, 05:42 PM
MrMovl Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: Fedora on Thinkpad T60 with 60GB SSD error

Hi

I am having the exact same problem... Trying to install Fedora 16 to my netbook with the new 30GB SSD from OCZ.

I also had trouble installing other distributions, but after two days I fixed all problems with the partition tables... and installed Arch Linux.
Becaus I thought it's ok now I tried again with Fedora... again there was the same error.

Did you find out what the problem was?

Please! I really would like to give Fedora a try...
Old 6th May 2012, 06:08 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

What kind of netbook is this?

How much memory does it have?

Did you install in EFI mode?

One thing you could try:

Boot your netbook with a live cd then create only two partitions with fdisk: one swap partition and one normal ext4 partition. Then boot your netbook in non-efi mode and install Fedora into the second partition.
Old 6th May 2012, 06:12 PM
MrMovl Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Asus EEEPC 1000HE

30GB SSD Memory
1GB RAM

I read about the EFI mode... what is that? I just booted the live cd and installed from there (with no problems).

As to the partitions: I used the partitions i made during the ArchLinux install:
512MB /boot [ext4]
1024MB Swap
the rest as / [ext4]

Edit:
I'm trying the DVD now, maybe with that I will be able to fix the problem. We'll see

Edit 2:
The DVD instalation yields the same problem. Installing Fedora is no problem, but when I reboot the partition cannot be found anymore. I will look into it more tomorrow

Last edited by MrMovl; 6th May 2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Adding something

Tags
60gb, error, fedora, ssd, t60, thinkpad