Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th January 2012, 11:31 PM
lighthouse Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question Get involved in open source project

Dear Fedora community,

Oh my God, suddenly realized this post was incorrectly edited.

What I wanted to ask is that if it is possible to develop Fedora or some of its software, how can I get started?

Be happy!

Last edited by lighthouse; 15th January 2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 21st January 2012, 05:37 PM
Jastiv Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Get involved in open source project

Is it possible? of course its possible.
Actually, I have no idea how you would get involved in the fedora project itself.

As far as developing software on a free software project. I'm currently work on one and looking for more developers. It happens that it doesn't work so well on Fedora 16 (server compiles and runs, client needs the fonts specified manually,map editor no longer works.)

1. Go to www.wograld.org
2. Download the arch client and server from the CVS
3. Following the directions on the admin-install, compile and run the software.
4. If you have any problems, post to the discuss mailing list.
5. Sometimes I can be found on freenode in the #crossfire channel or on #gridarta
6. write a fix so it works on the latest version of fedora.
7. send me the patch.
8. continue to work on wograld, rewrite the client in java, create a patch so gridarta can be used as a wograld map editor etc.
9. I offically add you to the project.
10. You will now officially be a free software developer for software that is run on fedora.
Old 21st January 2012, 06:34 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

http://fedoraproject.org/en/join-fedora (for the OP)

(nice try there, Jastiv, but you should be filing a request for the package through Bugzilla, not prodding people to develop it for you. )
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 21st January 2012, 06:43 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

How To Become A Free Software Developer
Old 21st January 2012, 09:08 PM
Jastiv Offline

linuxfirefox

wograld isn't a fedora package, its a pre-alpha game. pre-alpha games don't have packages. That is why I always installed compiler tools right from when I first started using linux.
Old 21st January 2012, 11:56 PM
lighthouse Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Bless my English, very tired at the moment, almost going to sleep. Good night

Thank you Jastiv and others for reply. I don't really like games, so actually looking at another project.
Currently I like reading Thinking in Java and in parallel want to find something in Python.

The best solution for me is to develop for the Internet of Things or Semantic Web (these projects I think our society needs first), but not sure where to start. I have the second goal despite the social value - to learn Java and Python - languages I consider to help me find a job then.

Also I have some nice experience in C++, I was travelling on the conference talking about my small contribution, it is my great memory. I want to communicate too, this helps, you know, to develop yourself and learn from gurus. I continue contributing to that C++ project, spending maybe 2 hours per day.

I was thinking about Eclipse and Mozilla since I like web-based stuff (for example playing with Javascript gives me some nice feeling).

Why I thought about Fedora is because I use this system everyday and might be interested to program in it. I don't like the new cloud view where there is no desktop. That's why I'm on F14 now.

Well, yeah, that's it.

Last edited by lighthouse; 22nd January 2012 at 12:03 AM.

Tags
involved, open, project, source