Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th January 2012, 11:11 PM
Rnegade Offline

windows_7firefox
Fedora 16 won't install on my Asus pc

I have an Asus CM6730-04 with an intel i5 processor.
I tried to install both x86 and x64 versions on my pc and neither worked.
what happens is that i get the screen that says start fedora setup, and once i click on it, the screen turn white with blinking "-" in the top left corner, and stays like that. it does not boot into live image or any setup mode. i tried the basic graphics install too, and it does the same thing.
can anyone help me with this?
Old 9th January 2012, 01:08 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Fedora 16 won't install on my Asus pc

I've never had trouble with Fedora on Asus--have you tried something besides the live CD. (I always use the net install, and it hasn't given me issues.)
Old 9th January 2012, 02:08 AM
Rnegade Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
I've never had trouble with Fedora on Asus--have you tried something besides the live CD. (I always use the net install, and it hasn't given me issues.)
Thank you for the advice, I will give the net install a try tommorow and post the results.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:43 PM
Rnegade Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
unfortunately the net install didn't work either
Old 9th January 2012, 09:18 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Darn, I was so sure the problem was with the live CD.

Ok, at this point, if it were me, I'd first try the more proprietary hardware friendly Mint, to see if I had better luck with that. If so, then I'd start looking into what modules it's using for what hardware.

I'll add, just for the heck of it, that I usually use the net install, then use unetbootin to burn it to a USB. Once it starts, it first goes through a curses based dialog, to ask keyboard and a couple of other questions--did you even get that (a blue screen with gray or black lettering, where you select keyboard and such).[
Old 9th January 2012, 11:12 PM
Rnegade Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:

Ok, at this point, if it were me, I'd first try the more proprietary hardware friendly Mint, to see if I had better luck with that. If so, then I'd start looking into what modules it's using for what hardware.

I'll add, just for the heck of it, that I usually use the net install, then use unetbootin to burn it to a USB. Once it starts, it first goes through a curses based dialog, to ask keyboard and a couple of other questions--did you even get that (a blue screen with gray or black lettering, where you select keyboard and such).[
no, i didn't get a screen like that, it just says install or upgrade fedora, and once i click on that the screen breifly turn dark grey and the turn white with a flashing "-" in the top left corner. i also tried to install ubuntu to see if it was just a problem with fedora, and that didnt work either. i even tried the ubuntu windows installer and after it installed no operating systems would boot. i had to reinstall windows.

i'm starting to think it might be a problem with the bios settings or the processor.
i've never had problems installing linux on an amd processor, but now i have an intel i5
so i don't know whats going on
Old 10th January 2012, 12:24 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Not that it helps, but the i5 (on an Asus) hasn't been a problem for me either, so I suspect it lies elsewhere then just the fact that it's an i5.

Unfortunately, I don't know where--the fact that you don't get the choose keyboard stuff (the ncurses) indicates that it's probably not graphics--though of course, it could be a framebuffer thing.
Try one more thing (though I don't think it will make a difference)
When you boot Fedora and it says hit tab for more options or whatever it actually is, go to the end of the long kernel line and add

nomodeset

at the end.

Maybe it's an issue with the framebuffer .
Old 12th January 2012, 07:48 AM
Rnegade Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Not that it helps, but the i5 (on an Asus) hasn't been a problem for me either, so I suspect it lies elsewhere then just the fact that it's an i5.

Unfortunately, I don't know where--the fact that you don't get the choose keyboard stuff (the ncurses) indicates that it's probably not graphics--though of course, it could be a framebuffer thing.
Try one more thing (though I don't think it will make a difference)
When you boot Fedora and it says hit tab for more options or whatever it actually is, go to the end of the long kernel line and add

nomodeset

at the end.

Maybe it's an issue with the framebuffer .
afraid that didnt work either

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

could it be that my bios are UFEI?
Old 12th January 2012, 09:21 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Hrrm, if I remember correctly, though I might not, that shouldn't make a difference. I think I'd go back to my last suggestion, try with a Mint CD and see if you get further.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:27 AM
Skull One Offline

linuxredhatmozilla

Have you checked your ram?

By the way, I remember that when I have installed mine (booting from an iso on a disc), I had a black screen with this cursor for more than one minute, with everything inactive, until it really starts. But what I don't remember is if it was before or after the point where you are (but I think it was at the very beginning)
Old 12th January 2012, 10:35 PM
Rnegade Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Hrrm, if I remember correctly, though I might not, that shouldn't make a difference. I think I'd go back to my last suggestion, try with a Mint CD and see if you get further.
Alright I was able to install linux mint and besides some problems with the ati driver it works fine
Old 14th January 2012, 03:35 AM
Rnegade Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:

okay here are the modules

lsmod
Module Size Used by
bnep 18436 2
rfcomm 47946 0
bluetooth 166112 10 bnep,rfcomm
parport_pc 36962 0
ppdev 17113 0
dm_crypt 23199 1
binfmt_misc 17540 1
rt3572sta 645316 1
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 32040 1
snd_hda_codec_realtek 330769 1
joydev 17693 0
psmouse 73882 0
snd_hda_intel 33390 3
snd_hda_codec 104802 3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_i ntel
snd_hwdep 13668 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 96714 3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq_midi 13324 0
snd_rawmidi 30547 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 14899 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 61896 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 29991 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 14540 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
serio_raw 13166 0
fglrx 3101156 94
snd 68266 16 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_i ntel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,s nd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
eeepc_wmi 12826 0
asus_wmi 20035 1 eeepc_wmi
sparse_keymap 13890 1 asus_wmi
lp 17799 0
soundcore 12680 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 18529 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
mei 41480 0
parport 46562 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
vesafb 13809 1
usbhid 47198 0
hid 95463 1 usbhid
ums_realtek 13272 0
usb_storage 57901 1 ums_realtek
uas 18027 0
wmi 19256 1 asus_wmi
video 19412 0
ahci 26002 0
libahci 26861 1 ahci
xhci_hcd 82820 0
r8169 52788 0
Old 18th January 2012, 06:58 PM
Rnegade Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

well now what do i do? is there someway to add the modules to the boot cd?

Tags
asus, fedora, install