Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th January 2012, 07:00 PM
vikashiiitdm Offline

linuxchrome
cannot change mysql default datadir

Dear all,

I have a fedora 15 x86_64 system having mysql and mysql-server installed on it!!! Everything was fine untill recently i found that i do not have sufficient space on my / partition to accomodate the whole of wikipedia_xml_dump , so i thought that i should change the default datadir of mysqld , but every time i change it my server doesn't start, i have tried changing datadir in many places, i even read the article http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/..._Examples.html and followed the instructions but nothing changes , everytime i change my datadir in my.cnf the server just doesn't start and changing it back again to /var/lib/mysql makes it work again. please help , as the wkipedia's sql dump would expand to 80 gbs and i have only 20 gb of storage left on my / partition.

thank you

--
vikash kumar
Old 9th January 2012, 07:23 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: cannot change mysql default datadir

Make sure the target directory has the same security label, ownership, and protection modes of the default. Also note that the path to the directory also has the proper labels. This would be the default for the root directory itself, so if you mount the data on /data, then it should be correct. Mounts elswhere (such as /home) have a different security label that could prevent usage.

Tags
change, datadir, default, mysql