Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th January 2012, 06:24 AM
minkmaster4000 Offline

linuxchrome
can I install itunes in a linux distro?

i REALLY want to use itunes and i do however i have to have a stupid virtual machine in order to get on it. i just figured by now someone must have got it working smoothly?
Old 10th January 2012, 11:50 AM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: can I install itunes in a linux distro?

Funny, I would think the creator would write a release for linux if they actually cared.

Try http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=1347
Old 10th January 2012, 04:54 PM
bonedome Offline

linuxfirefox

Hello
I tried wine but itunes just freezes and didn't work, that was last year on my fedora 14 laptop, so if you can get it working with a more recent version I'd like to know.
Alternatively ask apple what their problem is with linux.
I suspect they're terrified of reverse engineering/hacking

Last edited by bonedome; 10th January 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10th January 2012, 05:07 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

My kids use GTK-pod and seem to like it as a alternative to iTunes for Linux.
Old 10th January 2012, 07:24 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxchrome

I do not know if this is an acceptable solution to you but I have been able to copy files to ipod (for a friend) just using nautilus in the past without any problems.
Old 10th January 2012, 10:36 PM
ericthered Offline

linuxfirefox

Wine is really your only hope, if that doesn't work then you may try the more liquid variety of wine, that always makes me feel better.

I've always been quite happy with Rhythmbox, I actually like it better than iTunes and it handles my iPod very well.

EDIT: Wait, holy crow, you're in Maine? What part of Maine?
Old 10th January 2012, 11:02 PM
minkmaster4000 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Wine is really your only hope, if that doesn't work then you may try the more liquid variety of wine, that always makes me feel better.

I've always been quite happy with Rhythmbox, I actually like it better than iTunes and it handles my iPod very well.

EDIT: Wait, holy crow, you're in Maine? What part of Maine?
southern haha (portland)

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

why can't linux just run like exe or mac programs??
Old 11th January 2012, 03:54 AM
jbuckley2004 Offline

linuxfirefox

GTKpod and Rhythmbox or even Banshee are alternatives, but my experience is that once you've used iTunes, the player's firmware is marked and you won't be able to use the linux based applications after that. For me, it showed up as having no free space left.

I even tried using iTunes to restore the iPod (in my case, a Shuffle) to it's "original state". But that didn't help.

Last edited by jbuckley2004; 11th January 2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: For clarity
Old 11th January 2012, 04:43 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxiceweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
I do not know if this is an acceptable solution to you but I have been able to copy files to ipod (for a friend) just using nautilus in the past without any problems.
This is tedious, and perhaps others have better solutions, here is how I work music between a legacy eMac and my GNU/Linux notebook:

I encode (rip) music into mp3 format on my eMac.

I copy the music library to my GNU/Linux notebook and manage it with VLC media player. I use the Fluendo mp3 codec (free) to play the mp3 files. I copy and create new folders of music (metal mix, 70s classic rock, etc) and save these copied folders of mp3's separate from my music library. I use these copied folders (metal mix, 70s classic rock, etc) as my play lists. Tedious creating these folders of grouped mp3's, yes. But the advantage is that I can toss my folders of music on most any mp3 player, usb drive, even burn to cd, and play on almost every system (Windows, Mac, GNU/Linux).

You can encode mp3's with a GNU/Linux system, just takes the extra mp3 codecs that enable ripping in mp3 format. I use my eMac as a file server, and the old legacy iTunes program on it does a good job of encoding mp3's, so it is an easy one step process of ripping and storing on my eMac (file server).

Not as straight forward as iTunes and play lists, but more freedom in devices you can play your music on (your not locked in)
Old 11th January 2012, 12:55 PM
ericthered Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkmaster4000 View Post
southern haha (portland)
I'm up in Franklin County. Ready for the big snow storm tonight?

Quote:
why can't linux just run like exe or mac programs??
Linux is just inherently different than Mac and Windows. Maybe if these OS's were open source, Linux could run .exe's happily. Instead we have a handful of people working their tails off to produce WINE, which can only reliable run a few programs. WINE is good, considering, but it's taken well over a decade to produce.
Old 11th January 2012, 03:05 PM
minkmaster4000 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
I'm up in Franklin County. Ready for the big snow storm tonight?

Linux is just inherently different than Mac and Windows. Maybe if these OS's were open source, Linux could run .exe's happily. Instead we have a handful of people working their tails off to produce WINE, which can only reliable run a few programs. WINE is good, considering, but it's taken well over a decade to produce.
well what if someone were to recreate an OS would, (in theory), it be possible to make one that could run any program?
Old 11th January 2012, 03:35 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxchrome
Post Re: can I install itunes in a linux distro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
This is tedious, and perhaps others have better solutions
I totally agree!

I did that then because there were some problems using banshee & rhythmbox and i just tried this .. and lo! behold! it worked !
Old 11th January 2012, 07:22 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkmaster4000 View Post
well what if someone were to recreate an OS would, (in theory), it be possible to make one that could run any program?
It's been tried, and failed. (Sorry, I can't remember the name of that project any more.)

For an operating system to actually run a program, it must provide a lot of infrastructure for that program:

1) Code to load the programs executable file. There are dozens of different executable file formats used by dozens of different operating systems. (Win32/64/.NET: PE, OS X: Mach, Linux/most other modern systems: ELF, older systems like Win16, DOS etc.: all sorts, etc...)

2) Run the program's code. If you're lucky, the program is expressed in machine code matching the processor of the computer you're using. Otherwise interpretation, dynamic translation, emulation etc. must be used. There are hundreds of scripting languages and byte-codes out there (Perl, Python, Ruby, LUA, Tcl, Bash, Java, JavaScript, .NET, etc...), and dozens of hardware instruction sets corresponding to different types of processors (x86-16/32/64, POWER, Alpha, ARM, ...).

3) Provide pre-written code routines that the program can use to perform different tasks, such as reading from a file. These can be low-level system calls, user-space code library functions, or background programs (daemons) which provide particular services. Different operating systems define different sets of syscalls, different libraries and their functions, different sets of daemons, and different mechanisms for making syscalls, function calls and inter-process communication. Linux and similar operating systems use variants of the POSIX interface, with differing low-level details and extras, Windows uses the BIOS/DOS, Win16, Win32 and Win64 APIs, OS X uses POSIX with NextSTEP-derived extras, etc...

4) A working environment (file system, networking, sound etc.) that meets the program's expectations. Even this can be quite varied across operating systems, e.g. the Windows file system has multiple root directories (C:\, D:\ etc. for each "drive"), whereas Linux has one (/).

It's not impossible, but it's a truly massive job!

Luckily, running Windows programs on Linux is only a small subset of this task, and there are options. Full machine virtualization/emulation you've already discovered. On x86 machines you can sometimes get Windows programs to work using Wine, which (mostly) deals with (1), (3) and (4) above in the Linux–Windows special case. Combining Wine with QEMU can run Windows code on non-x86 machines, (2) above. For (pure) Microsoft .NET-based programs, Mono may work.

But if you want a really Linux-native iTunes, you're at Apple's mercy I'm afraid, because they don't release it as free open-source code for Linux users to make work.

Gareth
Old 11th January 2012, 09:43 PM
ericthered Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
It's been tried, and failed. (Sorry, I can't remember the name of that project any more.)
Linux Unified Kernel? I think I remember something like that, had WINE built in or something.

There is also ReactOS, but it's... not ready.
Old 11th January 2012, 10:30 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Linux Unified Kernel? I think I remember something like that, had WINE built in or something.
LUK is implementing the Windows system call interface in the Linux kernel (the Windows and Linux syscall mechanisms and interfaces don't conflict apparently), so that both Linux and Windows programs and libraries can run natively, although presumably it'd need DLLs from ReactOS (or patched Wine versions) to provide a FOSS user-space environment – otherwise you'd need to copy the DLLs from a Windows install. Wine on the other hand provides a Windows user-space which uses POSIX system calls instead (and probably emulates a few system calls too, at least for DOS/Win16).

But no, it wasn't LUK I was thinking of. There was an OS a few years back whose stated aim was to be able to execute any program written for any architecture, old and new, by integrating emulators and API compatibility layers. I don't think it was Linux-based, and it died a predictable death.

Gareth

Tags
distro, install, itunes, linux