Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th January 2012, 05:05 PM
recondite Offline

linuxchrome
Keep getting corrupted ISO files.

I have downloaded the Fedora 16 64-bit ISO file about ten times (7 on XP Pro and 3 on F13). I have tried using direct downloads from the Fedora site, direct downloads from a mirror (tried that twice) and BitTorrent clients on each platform (Transmission on F13). Still no luck. All 10 files are corrupt.

Why is this happening? Interference in my house or neighborhood?

I thought BitTorrents checked the file for me? Why does it not report errors?

I did a manual verify using Transmission.

If it's hopeless I need to get a DVD from who knows where (any suggestions for reliable Web companies that sell them?).

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

By the way, I am using the command line md5sum on F13 to find checksums. The checksum file I download uses a different algorithm. Where can I get a tool that uses the same algorithm? Thanks.
Old 14th January 2012, 05:13 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox
Re: Keep getting corrupted ISO files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recondite
By the way, I am using the command line md5sum on F13 to find checksums. The checksum file I download uses a different algorithm. Where can I get a tool that uses the same algorithm? Thanks.
Code:
/usr/bin/sha256sum
Old 14th January 2012, 05:14 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox

You are using the wrong file to do your checksums. You want sha256sum.
Old 14th January 2012, 05:17 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox

It shouldn't have been too hard to find this page.
Old 14th January 2012, 05:52 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

For awhile, it was quite confusing--even the nice folks at distro watch were thrown off by the way the sums were listed.

However, looking at it now, it seems as if it should be clear that you want to use sha256, and shouldn't even be necessary to go to another page to figure that out. I'm curious why you used md5 sums (unless you're looking at an old mirror, where they still have it in the confusing way, but that doesn't seem likely.)
Quote:

# The image checksum(s) are generated with sha256sum.
ca4b4404cbbd5c2f03dac41349b947a10e18c1a8d944c10b8a a28efe1fc7320c *Fedora-16-x86_64-DVD.iso
a51885ea0e91471beea6af2e682d778e40f34de939e3752eec 5ab24e56bca80b *Fedora-16-x86_64-netinst.iso
is what I see in the checksum file.

I ask this not to be nasty, but because it might help others avoid the same mistake.
Old 14th January 2012, 06:27 PM
recondite Offline

linuxchrome

I used md5sum because I had several files and I wanted to see if any of them were the same as any of the others. If the files were not corrupted I would get the same sum with each file when I use md5sum.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Using the correct program to compute the sums does not alter the fact that the files are corrupt. When I use sha256sum it tells me the files are corrupt. I knew that would happen because all the files are different!

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

So I would still like to know why this is happening, why Transmission does not report errors, and where I can get a F16 DVD.
Old 14th January 2012, 06:28 PM
flyingfsck Online

linuxfirefox

Try to find a mirror where you can download using rsync.
Old 14th January 2012, 07:38 PM
robatino Offline

linuxfirefox

I always download using wget, which is a robust command-line tool, and have never had a corrupted download. You can try resuming a download with the -c option, in case your download is short (which is probably the most common form of corruption). If that's not the case, then as the other poster said, rsync will fix an arbitrarily corrupted download.
Old 14th January 2012, 08:31 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

LISTEN UP -

Torrent virtually can't download a bad data block - it's check-summed. So your error is caused either on the server or on your system. Since it's happened repeatedly on your system, it's the suspect. The disk will announce any uncorrectable errors - so that's very unlikely.

97% probability that you have a flakey DRAM stick.
Install memtest86+ then boot it and leave it to run overnight.

Sadly w/ today's technology most home systems don't have ECC or parity on DRAM - ridiculous.
Old 14th January 2012, 10:06 PM
recondite Offline

linuxchrome

I used wget and copied the file from a mirror but it was still corrupted. (sha256sum did not match).

Then I used rsync and had the same problem: checksum still does not match. I will try rsync several times. I'm not sure what options to use with rsync. I am just using the --progress option which shows the progress.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

I will try the memory test.
Old 15th January 2012, 01:52 PM
recondite Offline

linuxchrome

Stevea, you are probably right, it's probably a hardware issue. Could still be static/interference though I suppose.

I ran the memory test for 12 hours and it did not report any errors. I got the memory test from the web site http://www.memtest86.com/.

I have two memory slots/sticks. The next thing I will try is removing the memory sticks one at a time and seeing if I can download the F16 ISO file with only one memory stick in the machine.

---------- Post added at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

Thanks for the help everyone, the problem seems to be solved.

I took out one memory stick and reran rsync on one of the corrupted downloads. Then when I ran sha256sum it said the file was OK.

Just for good measure, and to test my memory on a large data transfer (since rsync only took a few minutes), i.e. to double-check that the memory stick I removed was indeed the bad one, I reran wget and got another copy of the ISO file. I used sha256sum on this second ISO and it was also OK.

Tags
corrupted, files, iso, torrent