Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th January 2012, 10:49 AM
SteveT Offline

linuxfirefox
Fedora Upgrade :: Fresh Install - FC15 - FC16

Does anyone know of a document that says what to beware of (or what the potential differences are) when upgrading a system or doing a fresh install?

I always tend to test a new release on a backup laptop. In this case I upgraded that laptop from FC15 to FC16, and I tried the various parts of the system (mail, browser, dev tools) to ensure it all looked ok before upgrading my main laptop. The upgrade laptop had been initially installed with a 500MB /boot.
In this case it all looked fine, so I started to upgrade the main laptop. I initialliy didn't have enough space in /boot, so I removed a couple of old kernels and retried. That also failed on the install reboot. So I then reset the reserved blocks on /boot, and that then seemed to go past the install reboot, but then failed, with another space issue, leaving the system unbootable. I had a FC16 DVD, so I then installed from fresh.

I then had the problem that the FC16 user UID range had changed. On the upgraded machine, the old <1000 users had been migrated ok, presumably as login.defs had been changed as part of the upgrade. On the fresh install, by default, I could only create users with an ID of >=1000. This posed a problem at first, as I have an external NAS that has users defined in the 500 range. Typically, the user I create as the Admin user as part of the install, is me, so that user would normally be 500. In the fresh install, I ended up with that user being 1000 and had to override the UID/GID's to create another user of 500. BUT that user then didn't appear in the gdm user list, until I realised (via google) that login.defs can be used to change the Min UIDs.

So now, all the 500+ users appear in the gdm greeter, and there seems to be a bug with the gdm custom.conf (again found via google) that stops you tweaking the gdm greeter user list.

I still have another odd issue, in as much in some circumstances, when a task needs authentication it will prompt me with the 1000 (admin) user password, rather than my 500 'log in' user password (even though the 500 user is also part of wheel). Where is that 'admin=1000 user' correlation held?

Are there any other known upgrade::fresh install issues that anyone knows of that I may hit? (see other rhythmbox post for .gconf issue not being created on fresh install).

Edited 20/01/2012 - 12:55 - OK, does anyone also know where the config serttings for gnome-screensaver and also the set up of auto start programs for the current user?

Last edited by SteveT; 20th January 2012 at 12:57 PM.

Tags
fc15, fc16, fedora, fresh, install, upgrade