Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Servers & Networking
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Servers & Networking Discuss any Fedora server problems and Networking issues such as dhcp, IP numbers, wlan, modems, etc.

Old 20th January 2012, 05:58 PM
bgillis Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
After moving computer, can't connect to it by name through SSH

I recently moved my computer to a different office. Previously, I could connect to it from any computer, for instance by:

ssh compname.university.ca

After moving my computer, this no longer works. It seems that my computer's IP address has changed, and other computers aren't getting the message to identify compname.university.ca as my new IP address (sshing to my new IP address works just fine). I tested this through using nslookup, which returns my old IP address. I've given it a week, in case DNS servers needed time to update, but it still doesn't work.

Is there anything I need to do to make sure my computer is broadcasting its name so that DNS servers (or wherever the problem is) can get the right IP address?
Old 20th January 2012, 06:11 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: After moving computer, can't connect to it by name through SSH

This is a common occurrence, check with the school network admins, it might be something as simple as flushing the dns cache. Or maybe a security feature instituted by the the university.
Old 20th January 2012, 07:00 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

It may also be that the network is configured via DHCP.

Frequently the names may change if changing buildings. It does depend on how the University has networks configured. If you got a different IP number then quite possibly you will have to edit the known_hosts file entry even if the name stays the same.
Old 24th January 2012, 07:12 PM
bgillis Offline

windows_7firefox

Talking to the university's computing centre got it fixed, thanks. It turns out in this case that they solved it by reassigned the port I was using to my old IP address.

Tags
connect, dns, ip address, moving, ssh