Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st January 2012, 04:12 PM
paulliv Offline

linuxfirefox
Dependency problem with gstreamer - Fedora 15

I feel rather lame posting this here, but after several days of experimenting and Googling the issue, I find myself in a dependency loop while using "yum" to install the gstreamer packages in Fedora 15. The objective was to allow dragon (default media player) to handle *.wmv files attached to emails within Thunderbird 8.0. Just prior to running the command, I ran "yum update", so assume that all installed packages are current. When the install is attempted I get the following:

# yum install gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.11-4.fc15.x86_64 --skip-broken
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* fedora: fedora.mirror.iweb.ca
* rpmfusion-free: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
* rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
* rpmfusion-nonfree: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
* rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
* updates: fedora.mirror.iweb.ca
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package gstreamer-ffmpeg.x86_64 0:0.10.11-4.fc15 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: libavcodec.so.52(LIBAVCODEC_52)(64bit) for package: gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.11-4.fc15.x86_64
Package ffmpeg-libs is obsoleted by ffmpeg, but obsoleting package does not provide for requirements
--> Processing Dependency: libavformat.so.52(LIBAVFORMAT_52)(64bit) for package: gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.11-4.fc15.x86_64
Package ffmpeg-libs is obsoleted by ffmpeg, but obsoleting package does not provide for requirements
--> Processing Dependency: libavcodec.so.52()(64bit) for package: gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.11-4.fc15.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: libavformat.so.52()(64bit) for package: gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.11-4.fc15.x86_64
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Packages skipped because of dependency problems:
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.11-4.fc15.x86_64 from atrpms

I have tried it with many permutations of the yum command and options, none of which have worked. I suspect that I have missed a change in the default handling of media files, but couldn't find a reference. I would greatly appreciate a gentle slap with the clue stick regarding this issue.

Thanks
paul
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:35 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Re: Dependency problem with gstreamer - Fedora 15

I think you need libavcodec and libavformat from the atrpms repository.

http://atrpms.net/documentation/install/

Tags
dependency, fedora, gstreamer, problem