Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th January 2012, 05:54 AM
Spats Offline

linuxfirefox
No Shutdown button

I have just completed a new installation of Fedora 16 64bit and want to shutdown the computer but there is no button to allow me to do this . Where would I find it .
Old 25th January 2012, 06:43 AM
qualicum Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: No Shutdown button

Usually, it is a menu selction from the main menu at the bottom left, likely on the bottom right hand side, titled 'leave', and has a submenu with shutdown options. If not there, you can still shutdown safely by opening a terminal window, type in su - <enter> enter your administrative password, and then when you get to the terminal window prompt, type in (without the quotes) 'shutdown -r now' to close down and reboot, or 'shutdown -h now' to close down and power off the machine.
Alernately;
You may also right click on the taskbar, select panel options, then select add widgets, and select one of the 'menu' widgets by double clicking on it. You can identify a widget by hovering with the mouse on it, and it will pop up a description for that widget. That will set a menu onto the taskbar, and you can then select from it 'leave' and on its submenu are options to log out, restart, shutdown, etc.
If there is no taskbar, you can right click on the desktop and select 'add panel'. The panel, or 'taskbar' you want to add is the default panel, if you have no other at the time.
G.L.
Old 25th January 2012, 06:49 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats View Post
I have just completed a new installation of Fedora 16 64bit and want to shutdown the computer but there is no button to allow me to do this . Where would I find it .
Try reading this

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet#The_panel
Old 25th January 2012, 06:53 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualicum View Post
Usually, it is a menu selction from the main menu at the bottom left, likely on the bottom right hand side, titled 'leave', and has a submenu with shutdown options. If not there, you can still shutdown safely by opening a terminal window, type in su - <enter> enter your administrative password, and then when you get to the terminal window prompt, type in (without the quotes) 'shutdown -r now' to close down and reboot, or 'shutdown -h now' to close down and power off the machine.
Alernately;
You may also right click on the taskbar, select panel options, then select add widgets, and select one of the 'menu' widgets by double clicking on it. You can identify a widget by hovering with the mouse on it, and it will pop up a description for that widget. That will set a menu onto the taskbar, and you can then select from it 'leave' and on its submenu are options to log out, restart, shutdown, etc.
If there is no taskbar, you can right click on the desktop and select 'add panel'. The panel, or 'taskbar' you want to add is the default panel, if you have no other at the time.

G.L.
You also need to read about gnome 3 as none of the highlighted stuff is possible.
Old 25th January 2012, 08:19 PM
Spats Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you Leigh123Linux. That is quite an informative article. This Gnome 3 sure has changed so much. How do i get rid of all the 'black' edges etc .
Old 26th January 2012, 06:02 AM
qualicum Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
You also need to read about gnome 3 as none of the highlighted stuff is possible.
Yes, my apologies, I am a KDE user, although have worked with gnome in Suse, Ubuntu, and other linux distros in the past. <ctrl>+<alt>+<f1> should get you to a boot prompt also, to utilize yum to update. I removed fedora 16 gnome 3 for KDE to solve the 'signal 11' crash 'bug' last week.
Old 26th January 2012, 07:56 PM
Spats Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you folks this thread is now sorted
Old 16th March 2013, 05:07 PM
Null0 Offline

linuxfirefox

On the user menu pressing and holding alt will change suspend to "Power Off..."

Tags
button, shutdown