Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st January 2012, 05:58 PM
billollib Offline

windows_7firefox
Rapidly declining wireless performance Fedora 16

I installed Fedora 16 (64 bit) on my ASUS G74S laptop (Intel i7 cpu, Atheros AR9002WB-1NG card). When I connect to my wireless system at work, I have no problem connecting, and things are initially great. But then I have increasing delays and dropped packets, to the point that, after about 15 minutes, I'll have four or five second delays in things like keystrokes with ssh (wireshark gives an ACK round trip time of up to 10 seconds). There will be occasional bursts of good connection that last up to a minute, but they become fewer and further between. Then, after about 40 mins, almost no packets get through. If I power cycle the machine, the pattern repeats (though simply disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't change where I am in this pattern).

Using a VPN out and using an external public DNS don't change things.

I had Mint installed prior to this, and it didn't seem to have the problem, either (though I uninstalled it when I installed Fedora, so I can't test it now.

This is dual-boot machine, and *none* of this happens on the Win 7 side of things. On the Win 7 side, I get good, uninterrupted connection.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 1st February 2012, 04:55 PM
billollib Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Rapidly declining wireless performance Fedora 16

Quick update.

I think this is a driver problem. I went home and got my ALFA AWUS051NH 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless adapter, plugged it into my USB port, and it works great. No slowdown, no issues.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Should I repost this in "hardware?"
Old 1st February 2012, 05:36 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

You could mark the thread as solved and leave it here. The admins might not like double post
Old 1st February 2012, 06:28 PM
billollib Offline

linuxfirefox

OK. I'm new here, so I wasn't sure what to do... Thanks.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:26 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

You are welcome!
Old 7th February 2012, 02:34 AM
Giant_Baba Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by billollib View Post
Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes, I do
My wifi card model is Atheros AR9285. Poor performance with Kernel 3.2.1-3.fc16.i686.
While with last update wireless networking no longer appears to work.

Tags
atheros, declining, fedora, fedora 16, performance, rapidly, wireless