Jim
Old 17th February 2012, 04:54 PM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollard View Post
There are two ways to do it -

The .forward is aimed at user modification and can be quite flexible.

The other method is to define an alias for root that has the target mail.

Some/many ISPs block incoming port 25 connections, but don't block outgoing. 25 is the default mail port. Some ISPs use a different port just to avoid some external traffic, even though it really doesn't matter. Some require connections to have DNS authentication or other host authentication. This is not password type authentication, they just want to confirm that a remote mail server may be valid. These may cause errors, though you should get error messages about it.

You can always test by using utilities like mailx which make a TCP connection to the remote server (over port 25 by default) and send a test message. You can read the mailx manpage on how to specify a nonstandard port number.
Hi jpollard
I have found out that my ISP, a local Telco, is using a Spam filter thingy call 'spamhaus' . They are a legitimate service which filters E-Mail that has been generated from "inappropriate IP' (their words) addresses, which are not Certified Mail Server IP addresses (and I suspect I did not have the correct login info in my script). My ip 206.116.39.nnn is not a generally accepted Mail Server IP range.
I suspect they also want to ensure, that as a Home User, one does not run any servers open directly to the public, in particular Mail. Anyway after you guys helped me fix my local problem, I hit this one. I think I can fix it with the appropriate Authentication UID and password.
Just thought I would post anyway in case someone else has a similar problem. Cheers...
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666

Tags
email, files, script