Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd February 2012, 04:05 PM
demon007 Offline

linuxchrome
Memory map or physical address of some memory allocated by malloc

How can I get the memory map or physical address of some memory allocated by malloc?

Please help me. I cannot get it anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd February 2012, 04:55 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox
Re: Memory map or physical address of some memory allocated by malloc

Get virtual address (void*), check /proc/self/maps, check /proc/self/pagemap. See this post: http://stackoverflow.com/a/6261020 for an explanation.

Remember to lock the page first, or the virtual memory system could change the mapping at any time. Also ask yourself why you want to do that. If hardware memory addresses matter for your code, you should probably be writing a kernel module. (If you are writing kernel code, check the other answers on the linked page, I'm not familiar with kernel internals myself but someone else may know.)

Gareth
Old 3rd February 2012, 05:37 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Memory map or physical address of some memory allocated by malloc

Also remember that a single malloc call can allocate multiple pages, and such memory maps can/will be scattered all over. And the next run will have a different map.

What you are asking for is almost never useful unless you are debugging some kernel process startup.

Also remember - malloc doesn't have to actually allocate anything. All it does is record that you asked.

Such memory is only allocated WHEN the memory page is actually written to.

BTW, another problem occurs when memory is reallocated (you used it, and released it). Such allocations do not have to alter the processes page structure at all. The memory "allocated" may actually be in swap, and again, doesn't really exist until it is written to.

Last edited by jpollard; 3rd February 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Tags
address, allocated, malloc, map, memory, physical