Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th February 2012, 03:52 PM
susja Offline

windows_7firefox
Unstable Network wireless connection

Hello folks,
Please help if you could. I'm new in Fedora i.e. installed Fedora 16 just 3 days ago and I love it so far.
The problem is with not reliable wireless connection. I installed on my notebook Fujitsu Lifebook A6025. It worked fine at the beginning but later ... maybe next day it started to drop wireless connection after a few hours of inactivity. Actually every morning I see that connection was dropped while it was OK at evening. If I run 'live' install Fedora disk I usually am able to restore connection. But it's really not acceptable that I have to run install disk again and again in order to restore wireless network.
I'd appreciate if someone could help since it's really frustrating.
Thanks in advance
Old 6th February 2012, 03:58 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox
Re: Unstable Network wireless connection

Hi susja and welcome to the forum.

There's been an issue with the 3.2.2-1 kernel, the last few days.
Today i've seen a kernel update to 3.2.3-2 available, maybe that one fixes the connection drop issue you currently have.

Hope this helps.
Repo (sea-devel) :: Text User Interface (TUI), Video Handler Script (VHS), efi-helper, grub2-circled-nasa-themes, Essentials (blame, p, rmtf, rnd, siggen, screenshot...), (BETA) Dev-Scripts, (BETA) Fedora Account Scripts (FAS)
Old 6th February 2012, 04:14 PM
susja Offline

windows_7firefox

hi sea,
thanks so much for speedy reply,
definitely I'll try it first thing when I come home ... BTW ... how could I upgrade kernel? Just run 'Software update' and it'll find and install new kernel? Or I should search for it myself and run 'yum'?
Thanks again.
Old 6th February 2012, 04:30 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

either way.

Doing "yum update" will find any updates for the system, including any kernel updates.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:17 AM
Metric Offline

linuxfirefox

Judging from the following thread (and my own hardware), the 3.2.3 kernel does indeed solve the problem. So it appears that you just randomly came in at the end of the one bad week for trying fedora for the first time.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=275753

And yes, fedora will find the update and install it for you automatically from the GUI or from the terminal -- whichever you prefer.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:30 PM
susja Offline

macossafari
Thumbs up Re: Unstable Network wireless connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Judging from the following thread (and my own hardware), the 3.2.3 kernel does indeed solve the problem. So it appears that you just randomly came in at the end of the one bad week for trying fedora for the first time.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=275753

And yes, fedora will find the update and install it for you automatically from the GUI or from the terminal -- whichever you prefer.
Thanks so much to everyone who tried to help me.
After last kernel update I don't experience wireless network issue any more.
Old 9th February 2012, 01:51 AM
susja Offline

linuxredhatfirefox

Hey Folks,
Did new 3.2.3-2 fixed your problem?
I was happy after upgrade to new kernel but today again wireless connection dropped. Not sure if it's kernel or my adapter.
Would be nice to know your experience.
Thanks

Tags
connection, network, unstable, wireless