Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th February 2012, 04:44 AM
RAWELSH Offline

linuxfirefox
Samba Services not starting/operating...

I have a fresh install of F16. I have installed Samba and have verified smbd is located under /usr/sbin. But the init process does not have a reference for samba startup, and I am not finding either smbd or nmbd listed in the Service Configuration utility. Can someone point me in the right direction for guidance?
Old 8th February 2012, 05:13 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox
Re: Samba Services not starting/operating...

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...94&postcount=2
Old 8th February 2012, 06:40 AM
RAWELSH Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks for the link reference posted. I have both nmb and smb services starting on boot, now. I am seeing an issue with the nmb service failing on initial boot. I can go into the Service Configuration window and restart this service without issue. Any thoughts why the nmb service may fail on initial boot?
Old 8th February 2012, 09:38 AM
leigh123linux

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWELSH View Post
Thanks for the link reference posted. I have both nmb and smb services starting on boot, now. I am seeing an issue with the nmb service failing on initial boot. I can go into the Service Configuration window and restart this service without issue. Any thoughts why the nmb service may fail on initial boot?

The main cause would be delayed network (LAN) startup on bootup.
Old 11th February 2012, 05:53 PM
RAWELSH Offline

linuxfirefox

I am stumped... Any pointers would help... I am unable to find why nmb consitently fails on startup. Not sure where to look for direction. Also, even after getting services running, I am unable to configure samba shares so the other systems on this net can access them. I have run through the listed tests in the samb 3 HOW-TO doc successfully, but still cannot access these shares from another PC.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Fixed the network boot issue impacting nmb and smb startup error on boot.

DBelton 31st January 2012 09:28 AM
Re: Samba: Permission Problem?

If you are running F15 or F16, make sure that if you are using NetworkManager to have it set to start on boot, AND be available to all users. If you don't, then it will wait until a user signs in to bring up the network.

Also, even if you have NetworkManager to start on boot and be available for all users, sometimes network services will try to start because the network isn't fully up and settled. (I think this is more of a network manager bug than a systemd bug, but not certain) IF this happens, you can force systemd to wait for the network to settle.

Code:
systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Now just need idea on why I cannot access samba shares from windows systems.
Old 13th February 2012, 06:03 PM
RAWELSH Offline

linuxfirefox

To all, still having issue with configuring Samba access control in F16.

When tryuing to access the visible resources on my F16 machine from a Windows machine, I get "Access Denied".

I have successfully configured Samba in F14 before (unfortunately, I do not have acces to the smb.conf from that machine).

On the F16 machine, I have tried disabling the firewall and setting SeLinux to permissive, but no change.

I have noticed when I access the properties for the directory on the F16 machine that I want to share the Share tab always comes up as "not shared", even after I select "Share with Sambe". I am not sure if this is relevant, but I was able to change this property in F14.

Here is the test of my smb.conf file:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2012/02/12 03:59:02

[global]
workgroup = MY_GROUP
server string = Samba Server Version %v
security = SHARE
smb passwd file = /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb
guest account = ftp
client NTLMv2 auth = No
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
idmap config * : range =
idmap config * : backend = tdb
cups options = raw

[BROTHER_1440]
comment = Brother HL-1440 Printer
path = /var/spool/samba
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
print ok = Yes
printer name = BROTHER_1440
use client driver = Yes
default devmode = No
oplocks = No
share modes = No

[My_share]
path = /home/rwelsh/Share/My_share
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

I have tried guest account of ftp, the default "nobody", nfsnobody.

I have tried "client NTLMv2 auth" as both yes and no.

Any pointers where I could look for guidance?

Tags
samba, services, starting or operating