Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th February 2012, 06:10 PM
voodoodoc Offline

linuxfirefox
Ridiculous RPM dependencies

I've been upgrading different Fedora versions since F10 on the same box. Always used Gnome till F15 and that abomination they call Gnome3. So I switched to KDE. Hated it and switched to XFCE. So now I want to get rid of KDE and Gnome if possible.

Why is that RPM thinks I need to remove Libreoffice and Pidgin (to name but a few) just to remove KDE. These all existed on my system when I was just using Gnome. So even if I have to leave Gnome at least getting rid of KDE would be nice.

Now I'm guessing that Pigin and Libreoffice depended on some KDE Lib that I had installed separately from KDE its self (QT? who knows). Now when I go to remove KDE it wants to remove that library.

Is there no easy way to untangle this mess and just get rid of the stuff I want to get rid of?
Old 10th February 2012, 06:47 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Ridiculous RPM dependencies

The only way I know is to groupremove kde and re-install those libraries you do need but have been removed by yum. I faced the same problem when I tried to remove xfce from my system and it removed a bunch of libraries.

It was discussed recently in this thread. Based on this thread, re-installing missing dependencies seems to be the only way out.

Cheers.
Old 10th February 2012, 07:21 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Not sure these will be of any use to you, but it's good info to have stored in the wetware cache.

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-er...l-options.html

http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/NoDeps
Old 10th February 2012, 10:21 PM
William Haller Offline

linuxchrome

Might libreoffice-kde be the culprit? You might see if you can just get that gone. Perhaps libreport-gtk?

The specific desktop specific bits are usually found in places like that.

But in general - I agree that it is a big pain to pull out something once you've installed it.

Tags
dependencies, ridiculous, rpm