Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th February 2012, 03:23 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: GUI missing - minimal install

yes, minimal = nothing you dont REALLY need to have a running system..
CPU Performance monitor is nothing you really need, its a nice to have
Old 11th February 2012, 05:21 PM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
Jup, didnt expect that to be missing

Ok after these posts, i'll change my script to that, that it lets you install kde, gnome and xfce too.
For those 3 'mainstreams' i'd use the groupinstall, rather than the minimal approach i use for the others.

And thank to you i had figured that my loginmgr script needs a little rework anway..
Yes, I have run into this a few times. Its as if not all the dependencies are listed correctly. Perhaps they expected you to have X installed already. SEA, let me know if you would like to install the main 3 without doing a group install. I think I have notes/scripts somewhere about pulling in only the basics for these. There is a bit that you don't need if your willing to tweak it enough and do trial and error.
Old 12th February 2012, 12:09 PM
NickC Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Thanks for all your help but due to what seems like one issue after another, for the moment I have deceided to give up on the idea of a minimal install. I had thoughtg that a minimal install would simplify matters but it seems to have had the opposite effect.

Perhaps it would be better if I were to test out the virtualization capabilities and windows networking requirement on as standard an install as possible, if there are any show stoppers there then the idea of a minimal install becomes irrelevent.

I have now done a standard Graphiocal Desktop install with the addition of Base System -> Virtualisation selected.
Old 12th February 2012, 12:14 PM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

I have promised SEA that I would drag out some scripts/notes I have on doing a minimal install. It did take some trial and error but I eventually got it working for GNOME 3 and Xfce. I am quite busy at the minute, but once I find them I will post them here.
Old 12th February 2012, 12:49 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

I'm already preparing for gnome, kde and xfce.
And by now, i'm quite satisfied with the minimal install menu:

Have a preview of what it'll be looking next release... (current 0.1.3 is VERY diffrent)

Nick, I'm pretty sure, as soon i have recieved the lists from Aduniac, you are going to like it.

Going to add e17 as well, thanks Dan for the links!

Tags
gui, install, minimal, missing